Disability Guy: Scammer or Legitimate?

This makes me angry. I suppose you can guess which category I think he fits in.

1 Like

His photo is going to be in greater demand by restaurant managers/owners than the photos of restaurant critics!

1 Like

It may be neither.

Donā€™t commercial buildings all have to be up to current code to get their permits and licenses initially but there are times when you donā€™t have to retrofit or upgrade? If the Hawaiian resto built 40+ years ago didnā€™t change hands or undergo renovation since 1990, they might not have ever been required to retrofit it.

Iā€™m sure heā€™s correct in that accessibility is a problem but I donā€™t know if he has a case.

1 Like

The article states that he has filed and ā€œ SETTLED Numerous Timesā€. No lawyer.

Unless youā€™re a fly on the wall , who knows. But yeah, Iā€™m inclined to agree with you.

2 Likes

Or both.

If the local legislation requires restaurants to make specific provisions and they donā€™t, then there are, rightly, consequences. Whether this guy is a ā€œprofessional claimantā€ is a different and not mutually exclusive question.

We have similar anti-discrimination legislation in the UK, although Britons donā€™t usually have the rush to litigation that seems to be the case with Americans. As I understand British law, any changes to accommodate disabilities have to ā€œreasonableā€. So, I think that, say in the case of a restaurant that is on the first floor and can only be accessed by a flight of stair is OK - it would not be reasonable (or, indeed, technically possibly) to install a lift.

3 Likes

Wait this is in Oregon ā€¦ just claim a religious exemption. All fixed - gluttony is a sin, mentioned a few times.

1 Like

Actually, we usually win the least religious state sweepstakes whenever they rate those things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the seven deadly ones. Iā€™ve never quite been able to make my mind up whether Iā€™d prefer death by gluttony or death by sloth.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll confess I donā€™t care for the framing of the question (as other Hos have noted, both and neither are possible answers).

What does seem to be the case is that these restauarants may not be ADA compliant and that is an issue.

I also have to wonder how relevant the morbid obesity as ā€œcauseā€ of his disability is to the issue (it seems to make people shout ā€œscammerā€ or question the legitimacy of a complaint). Iā€™m not saying amongst you, but it looks like it will be a factor in reporting.

1 Like

Iā€™m open to a better choice, but when a layman like me can see whatā€™s going on, but the law has no remedy, it is frustrating and causes harm to businesses that try to be hospitable. He seems to have some methodology for which places to hit.
And the fact heā€™s from Florida and canā€™t cite specific dates is a flashing red light.
Perhaps the insurance companies predictably pay him a settlement rather than go to trial.

3 Likes

Weā€™re #5 or thereabouts, so a few other states are even less than us! I stand corrected.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Many, many years ago, I worked for our local councilā€™s social housing department. One of my responsibilities was to deal with those claims for compensation that I felt able to settle. I had a small upper limit to payments but it would be the norm that, assuming there was evidence to support a claim, I would settle it. Claims that were for above my authority level or where I did not feel there was a case would be referred to our legal department.

1 Like

The ā€˜sometime in the past two yearsā€™ bothered me too. And is it only small independent restaurants that ever fall short? Or does he pick those because theyā€™re easier to intimidate with a lawsuit? What small biz has $300/hr for a lawyer?

I also wonder how he got around the west coast. You wanna talk about legroom, he couldnā€™t have flown coach :scream:. Driving most cars would also be a challenge.

3 Likes

OFFS! You cite one case and the whole state is full of religious zealots. And it isnā€™t all fixed, read your article.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sounds like he carefully chooses independent restaurants who donā€™t have the backing of a legal team like a chain would. Heā€™s counting on them deciding it is cheaper to pay for this to go away. He is the sort of predator who gives lawyers a bad name. If he was unable to represent himself he wouldnā€™t be pulling this. He should be held accountable for the stress and loss and cost his greed has inflicted on small businesses.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lawyer like that in the Bay Area (primarily San Jose) whoā€™s the same kind of predator, suing small businesses for not being ADA compliant. One place that had been around since the 1950s was forced to close because they didnā€™t have the money for legal fees.

This thread so frustrates me! Iā€™ve tried to reply at least a half a dozen times. Nothing Iā€™ve typed has been ā€œbalancedā€ so Iā€™ve killed all my comments before posting.

1 Like