Dipping sauces for French fries

I’m a-okay with mayonnaise not having that tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

3 Likes

It’s like mayo mixed with sweet pickle juice to me. At least that’s what I remember from my childhood.

2 Likes

I was “introduced” to salad cream as a teenager visiting London. I recall it being quite vinegar-y. I was expecting something more like mayonnaise. I’ve seen it in the grocery in the International aisle - UK shelf. Along with Spotted Dick, which elicits a double-take.

Very much so. It was introduced in 1914. I’m particularly interested in the food of that period (specifically the Great War). Salad cream fits perfectly with demand at that time for tangy products - chutneys, pickles and the like.

Now Spotted Dick is a whole different part of our food culture. Nothing to do with Richard or a penis but simply a take on a northern dialect word for dough (as was “spotted dog” which apparently the pudding was also called in the 19th century).

3 Likes

Oh, I know what it is, but for Yanks who don’t, the label will turn heads ….

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Unfortunate restaurant names

Actually, it is the name, 'Miracle Whip, that cannot be spoken in casa mts.

1 Like

gotta love jus I don’t even like beef sandwiches for the most part, but will get it for the jus so I can dip fries. But they have to be the thin, crispy frites, not fat/thick ones.

1 Like

I like this knockoff of Sylvia’s sauce. My fave for fries.

INGREDIENTS

MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART SQUEEZE LEMONS, REMOVE AND DISCARD SEEDS, AND SLICE RINDS. SET ASIDE JUICE AND RINDS. IN A BLENDER, PUREE CELERY, BELL PEPPER, AND ONION. IN A SAUCEPAN, COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS, INCLUDING LEMON JUICE AND RINDS, OVER LOW HEAT, AND SIMMER 15 TO 20 MINUTES. REMOVE RINDS. SERVE WARM. REFRIGERATE UNUSED SAUCE UP TO SEVERAL WEEKS. USES: ON PORK, CHICKEN OR HAMBURGERS, BUT ESPECIALLY GOOD WITH RIBS.

1 Like

Standing O for not referring to it as au jus.

Thank you, from the bottom of my belly.

I’m with Tash on that one.

1 Like

Lol… were I not on a HO or FTC, I probably would have written au jus bc otherwise, people would be like, what the hell is jus? surely you mean au jus.

But, I’ve read enough threads to know I must say jus here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was introduced in 1914. I’m particularly interested in the food of that period (specifically the Great War). Salad cream fits perfectly with demand at that time for tangy products - chutneys, pickles and the like.

What accounted for the demand? I suspect you know.

I cannot be certain but presume this would have been about perking up otherwise bland food. For working class families, meat was by no means an everyday food. Perhaps a roast on Sunday, followed by leftovers. This part of the 20th century was when Branston Pickle and PanYam Pickle were invented.

I think salad cream would have had much longer keeping qualities (thna mayo), so something of interest to families who wouldt have had refrigeration.

2 Likes

Toum may be my new contender for a fry sauce.

Capture

8 Likes

YAS.

1 Like

Of the latter listing, I’ve tried Hoisin (didn’t like that much), Mole (home made, was good with fries) and Tzatziki (ditto prev. comment).

The mole and tzatziki in particular with heavier home-made fries. I do also like a home-mix of (majority) mayo, catsup and mustard in a sort of Thousand Island copy.

2 Likes

Wow! That sugar level!

Toum = Alioli so yes

I had a server on an SF Bay Cruise (not exactly the pinnacle of local cuisine) once ask me: “You want au jus sauce with that?” Rough translation: “You want with sauce sauce with that?”

2 Likes