Dinner suggestions in Manchester, NH?

MrsJimbob and TeensJimbob will be meeting a newlywed couple in Manchester NH this weekend. They are staying in the downtown area. Any suggestions for a good place for dinner? My normal inclination when on the road would be to interesting looking holes in the wall, but in this case, I think we’ll need a place with reasonable seating and good food. The husband in the couple and the two of us lived in ChangSha, HuNan for a year together, so we all like good authentic regional Chinese cookery, but I think we’d all be up for anything exemplary, for a reasonable budget.

1 Like

We travel between Boston and north of Concord regularly, and are kind of dismayed at how hard it seems to find anything beyond extremely boring all along this route. Maybe we’re not looking at the right sources of info? I don’t know. One problem is that the Common Man cartel seems to own about 60% of the restaurants in New Hampshire and are dedicated to mediocrity. I can tell you that Daw Kun had top notch Thai as of the last time I was there (maybe 3 years ago) and might be up your alley. They are near the Manchester airport.

3 Likes

There used to be some pretty good Greek Places (Very retro/kitsch interiors but good Greek food) I do not know if that is still the case.
Eater is usually a decent resource https://boston.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-bars-cafes-manchester-new-hampshire

3 Likes

I’ve heard decent things about the French Canadian spot Chez Vachon but they’re not open for lunch.

To echo @Ruprecht, Common Man & Co owns a lot of the area’s eateries and they’re all underwhelming. You could try for Cotton Restaurant which seems to be one of the better options in the area that’s not directly tied down to a larger chain

1 Like

According to their Facebook page Chez Vachon is open for breakfast and lunch, 7AM - 2PM.

I meant not open for dinner. Sorry, hadn’t had any coffee yet

1 Like

There was a very good greek place right in the center that we ate at 2.5 years ago. I am told they recently sold the property, Vry sad.
We also had breakfast at Chez Vachon, slightly more recently. I was disappointed specifically the meat pie had much too much potato and not enough spices. Other items werent partcularly good either (we were a large party so I got to taste a lot of things) I have had better breakfasts in NH , trying to remember the most recent which was on our way S out of town on the W side of the river.

Delicious meal however at Nepalese Annapurna Curry and Sekuwa House. In particular, the sekuwa, grilled meat was fantastic.

3 Likes