Dinner out on the peninsula

Just got back from Bay Area and had some good, so so and reliable meals. First night was Johnston’s Salt Box in San Carlos on their nice patio off of Laurel Street. My last two meals there haven’t been as good as I remember, I think I’m missing a great pasta they used to have. Instead got the mussels (not garlicky enough) and a serviceable green salad with goat cheese.

Next night we went to Burma Love in the Springline development in Menlo Park. I’ve also eaten at Canteen, a Spanish tapas place run by the Camper crew and they are opening up a SF Italian restaurant offshoot, Che Fico, later this month. Burma Love was great. We’ve eaten at Burma Superstar on Valencia in SF and both experiences have been good. Loved the tea leaf salad, samosas, naan like bread with chicken curry dip, shrimp with garlic and chili and this curry chicken noodle dish.

Next night was at old reliable Amigos Grill in Portola Valley and as alway got the ceviche salad and split an amigos burrito with hubby. Last night out was an unfortunate evening at the Waterdog Tavern in Belmont. They had no outdoor seating available and inside they had a full on rock and roll band (old guys playing covers) that made talking almost impossible. Except for the spicy tofu appetizer food was mediocre.

We had little kids with us for every night but Burma Love hence the more casual choices.

10 Likes

I was reading through this thread and wanted to add that we now go to Zotts/Alpine Inn on all our trips up to Bay Area. Fun place to meet friends and bring grandkids and the food is pretty good. Just a warning that it is very popular and we usually get there early.