Dinner at Micheline in Scarsdale

We had a lovely dinner at Micheline last Friday night for my husband’s birthday. He is a big fan of French bistros, so this fit the brief. The room is lovely and it was surprisingly packed considering that it is less than two months old. For starters, I had the chicken leg confit, quite delicious, my husband had the frisee salad with lardons and a soft-cooked egg, and our son had the escargots. Though our waiter was unfailingly lovely, it was surprising that he couldn’t describe one of the dishes on the very small menu. We all ordered the Steak au Poivre served with the most divine frites I have had in ages. I did have a few complaints about the dish, however. The steak was served on a fairly large white plate with nothing on it. Not a sprig of parsley or an other garnishes. The sauce was in a little sauce boat, and the frites were in a little basket. Is it just me, or do you think that for $70 for a NY strip there should be so attempt to make the presentation a bit more appealing. We also thought that the steak was a bit tough and that my rare steak was closer to medium rare. However, the Creme Brûlée my son and I shared was divine and it took me back to one I had in Paris many years ago. I think my son said it best – he said that it was a perfect spot for an adult happy meal: a martini and frites. The bar is lovely.

2 Likes