Dining out post pandemonium

Depending upon my mood I may answer I’m well but other times I’ll answer it’s none of your business.

1 Like

I found out that when documents were sent around for review in my work group, my supervisor told everyone else to look just at the content; “Evelyn will catch all the grammar and spelling.” My mother’s last job was as a proofreader on my brother’s newspaper.

4 Likes

For my last two books, I had a very supportive editor at the publishers. And he was diligent with the proof-reading. And the in-house style guide. Which, in one respect, differed from my personal style. I have always been taught to use double quotes - " . But the house style was single quotes - ’ . Every page of the manuscript would be littered with his amendments against every single quotation. Why on earth he couldnt have saved time and just said “John, change all the doubles to singles”. Or I suppose that should be ’ John, change all ,’

1 Like

I know I’m not young, but all you people are making me feel like a baby. Double space? Had to look that up. How am I? Good or fine. Well would never occur to me. I’m just a philistine among you people.

Anyone here ever watch Silicon Valley - tab versus spaces?

1 Like

Why, that’s a religious matter. :wink:

Columbia graduates Philistines? Never new that was an accepted persuasion much less major.

While less common in writing, my bugbear is the ubiquitous response of “No problem” to “Thank you.”

1 Like

For us really old-timers, the true religious war is “vi” vs. “emacs”.

2 Likes

^ Were you listening to my husband talking about this at dinner? He did—for real! :rofl:

1 Like

@eleeper and @tomatotomato, REALLY old-timers? I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about…and worse, not knowing hasn’t affected me. I’ll now spend the rest of the evening Googling…

1 Like

LOL, not my thing but if you were ever a UNIX programmer like my husband you would know those as two different code editors. Out of my league!

1 Like

I love emack & bolios. Lovely ice cream. Better than Steve’s.

3 Likes

Err, no problem. What I say anytime someone says thanks to me. I don’t see the problem. I’m sensing a continental size divide.

In a stretch, it’s a variation of de nada or de rien, “it’s nothing”. But it also introduces the concept of an imposition, rather far from “you’re welcome”. But, in the larger scheme of things, what the heck, no problem.

1 Like

I was blinking like a mo’ fo’ .

I like saying “maths”.

1 Like

Mrs Harters could probably do a full 10 minute rant on the “no problem” situation, in so far as it applies to restaurants. I offer you the abridged version. You order and the server says “no problem”. Of course, there’s no problem - this is a restaurant, we are customers, you are offering particular foods, we have asked for some of those particular foods, bringing them is what you do - of course there’s no fecking problem.

6 Likes

In some contexts I can say that I am both good and well. grin

I started on the unnamed HP editor on the 9830A (well I started on paper tape on a Model 33 TTY). Then EDT on VAX/VMS. I don’t remember the Data General Cs and Ss editor, or indeed the one on the PDP-11. With the shift to Unix/Linux/BSD I was a vi guy. I start write code in gvim (Windows version of vi with some support for windows, tabs, and mouse).

Those of us around long enough remember why Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) called their computers programmable data processors (PDP). In the 70s and even 80s colleges and universities generally required Board of Trustees approval to buy a computer. Buying a programmable data processor on the other hand was usually within the authority of a department head. Science and engineering departments were packed with PDPs.

2 Likes

“When I’m good, I’m very good. When I’m bad, I’m better.” Mae West

5 Likes

“I ain’t as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was.” Toby Keith

On the other hand for Big Bang Theory aficionados, the episode about Leonard becoming a gigolo for science “Yes. I’m that good.” No video - y’all will have to find it yourselves.

To stay on the grammar topic, “y’all” is second person plural. grin

1 Like

On the original dining topic, no matter how obscured, my wife and I–both single jabbed with Pfizer–have decided to try takeout Indian at a local restaurant for dinner tonight. I called the restaurant yesterday and they have agreed, although they don’t advertise the service, to provide curbside pickup (you have to go inside for carryout/take-away). We’ll call in this afternoon with our orders and a credit card.

I know I’m repeating myself: just because something is allowed doesn’t mean it’s smart. Dining in is not smart. Youth sports is not smart. Bars and restaurants in general are not smart. YMMV.

1 Like