Dining in Maine - Ogunquit to Kennebunkport

Hi all - I’ve asked before, but we haven’t gone in a couple of years. We are heading back up to Maine - staying in Ogunquit and I need 5 nights of dining. So far, we plan to go to Ocean and Northern Union. We will probably hit Clay Hill - just because. I have ruled out Earth (stupid high prices, small portions) and White Barn Inn (bad experience). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am thinking about On the Marsh in Kennebunk - has anyone been lately? Thanks!

1 Like

Gwenn, we are looking forward to going back in late May. Last year we visited 3 times: spring, summer and fall and usually stay in Kennebunkport. In the meantime, thought you might be interested in the Summer Issue of Down East Magazine. Just came out: www.downeast.com

We are going in May also. When are you going? Have you been to On the Marsh? Thanks for the mag!

There are a lot of pointers in the magazine. We will be up there the week of May 21st. May stay mid-coast for a couple of days, too.
In all these years, we have never been to On the Marsh even though we pass it all the time. I would suggest you add a visit to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. A lot of shops and dining there, too. Just over the border from Kittery…

Yes, we plan to visit Portsmouth. Any good lunch spots?

Don’t know about lunch spots in Portsmouth, but if you like fine chocolates, be sure to stop in at Byrne and Carlson, amazing chocolates.

I am always looking for chocolate!!! Thanks!!

Several places we have enjoyed in or near Portsmouth are: Portsmouth Brewery; Martingdale Wharf (great lunch spot on the water); Moxy (an American tapas dining room and bar); and Blind Pig over looking the river on Badger Island, on the way to Portsmouth…
Take a nice walk thru the historic Market Street area, too!

Thanks!!

Have a b’day dinner reservation for my SO at White Barn, where we will also be staying. What was your experience? Should I be looking elsewhere?

I hated White Barn. The place is gorgeous, don’ t get me wrong. I posted my review on that other site. Yes, check out Ocean. Wonderful, beautiful and great food.

Sobering…definitely unlike anything we have experienced at other Relais et Chateaux (French Laundry, L’ Auberge Carmel). They had a change of chef (now Derek Bissonnette) in 2015, wondering if anyone can report a recent experience?

Maybe it’s better now, maybe an off night. But I have been to French Laundry and Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford and White Barn is not nearly in their class.

:wink:
Out of fairness, few places are in a class with French Laundry…

1 Like

Well, the good news is that The White Barn Inn remains a wonderful place to dine. Just returned from a long week in Kennebunkport and Mid-Coast, Maine and the meal we had at the White Barn was one of the highlights this time around.
We had heard they were serving their ‘bistro’ menu more often and it was appealing, so we opted for it on a rainy Tuesday evening. Seating for the bistro menu is casual in an adjoining room to the ‘barn’. It is quite lovely. We did not have reservations. Our waiter Cyrille was terrific, helping us thru dinner and making some fine recommendations. Outstanding mains were the Seafood Risotto with lobster and a curried Halibut with spring vegetables. Delicious! I will be posting a complete trip report as soon as I am settled…

1 Like

On our way now! Not dining at White Barn. They lost their shot with me!

Nevertheless, enjoy your trip, Gwenn! We enjoyed some old and some new on this go-round. You might want to check out The Burleigh, a new restaurant at the Kennebunkport Inn in town. The place is owned by the same group who operate Ocean and the Arundel Inn. It is more casual, less pricey, with very good food. A nice surprise!

Thanks! We will.

@winecountrygirl We are headed up that way in July-- please do report back!

And have a great time!!!

1 Like

Great ! Where do,you stay?