Dining for 3-day trip Paris - Specific question

Dear HO-group!

I have already scanned very carefully through all posts and have very specific questions for our trip to Paris in May/June this year.

Based on the suggestions here, I have narrowed the list down to the following fitting our pattern best:

Dinner 1: A.lea (39 Rue Lamarck, 75018)
Dinner 2: one out of Omar Dhiab, Mallory Gabsi, Pantagruel
Dinner 3: Aux Crus de Bourgogne

We are a group of 4 adults aged +/- 40.
What matters most to us - apart from the food obviously - is vibe, kind of a relaxed atmosphere and typical Parisian style/experience.

From what I read here, I can totally relate to @ParnParis’ recommendations and arguments and would therefore hope especially for him to help me out with my dilemma which one to choose for Dinner 2.

For lunch we will aim for some of the usual suspects like Petrelle, Perception, Hemicycle, Empreinte, Oktobre and also some brasserie (e.g. Des Prés and alike).

Do you think this is a good selection for dinner or would you rather pick those venues listed above for lunch and instead have dinner at Petrelle, Perception, Hemicycle, Empreinte, Oktobre etc.?

Thank you all for your help and the passion that you put into keeping this site vibrant and alive!

1 Like

A little add-on to my previous Post:
Is the atmosphere at Aux Crus de Bourgogne on Saturday evenings different than on Friday and on regular week nights?

Thank you so much, your help is highly appreciated!

The question you ask requires one to have been a number of times at Aux Crus de Bourgogne, including Saturday night, in order to compare. I probably have been more times than anyone else here as it’s near my apartment and a good backup restaurant when plans go awry, but I’ve never been on Saturday night. That being said, I don’t see much difference in the atmosphere from one day or service (lunch v. dinner) to another from the times I’ve been there, so I should thing that Saturday night is no different, either.

I haven’t been to a.lea in a long time… dunno why because it’s a resto whose quality cuisine and value is very appealing to me but there are just so many other places that more easily fit into my patterns. In Montmartre, Chantoiseau on rue Lepic has in many ways become my go-to and much liked for its ever changing menu, neighbourhood feel, and exceptionally friendly service (at least in French). I do frequently stray to the very relaxed BOULOM combo bakery/ resto/ buffet on rue Ordener on the northern fridges of Montmartre proper for good food and, even more, the quintessential joy of la vie parisienne… with the warnings that it can be way too joyful for the very popular Sunday brunch and that it is not a place for vieux schnoque/ old fart types who need to feel cossetted.

Another place on my regular rotation when I am feeling especially Parisian is Willette in the 9th. Everything that, for me, a neighbourhood bistro should be… ever changing bistronomique/very seasonal updated trad menu, friendly and very personable service, a clientele of mostly clued-in locals prone to intelligent conversations, lots of shareable dishes.

It looks like you want to have at least one Michelin star on your agenda. Unfortunately, the high prices make it very difficult for any starred restaurant to have a significant fun factor. Mostly an expense account and older plutocratic clientele, an emphasis more on food/ service/ wine than vibe. I happen to like Mallory Gabsi a lot not only for the quality of its cuisine but because it is very convenient for me for expense-account lunches and dinners… familiarity has bred affection but I’m not sure if tourists would find it so likeable. Or you can be adventurous and try a starworthy restaurant, with a good chance to gain their first star this year, like the very enjoyable Géosmine in the 11th or the more “insider” Hémicycle in the 7th. Or less likely because of its individuality to be awarded a star but still quite starworthy in my book like the very enjoyable ChoCho in the 9th.

Lunch vs dinner. For me, it’s a matter of economics. Even when on expense account, I find it difficult to justify spending at least 200€ per person (and often a helluva lot more) on dinner at a starred restaurant. A starred resto is a star resto is a star resto and the differences among them are usually so trivial that none really become a unique experience. (Of course, if you only go to one during your stay in Paris, it will be a unique experience for you)

2 Likes

By and large, Parisians (who have a mandatory 35 hour work week and often very flexible working hours and therefore no need to wait for the weekend for a night out) do not usually have “Saturday night fever” but suburbanites do and you can expect more suburbanites and French provincial tourists than Parisians on Saturday night than other nights at Aux Crus de Bourgogne and many other restos in Paris.

Dear @onzieme and @ParnParis ,

thank you both very much for the feeback - it is highly appreciated!

Daniel, thank you especially for the very detailed recommendations around Montmartre and also about Willette - completely new to me.
You have definitely given me something to think about :slight_smile:

I will keep you posted - latest after our visit to these fine places.