Dim sum dipping sauce - your favourite recipe?

When I dip anything at a dim sum place (I don’t usually), I like hot mustard. I don’t know why it seemed so natural to me, they don’t bring it out unless I ask for it, but that’s what I like. Maybe I should start bringing it with me so the others don’t look down their collective nose at me.

I’m going to see if I can find some yuzu vinegar. That sounds good.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

There are many people say crazy things like that. No one does this and no one does that. For something like dipping sauce, this person is over-reaching. You should simply say “Then I guess I know more about Chinese people than you”. This will usually seriously upset people like her. :laughing:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s easy then. I always have Colman’s powder and a ready made English mustard (sometimes Colman’s, currently supermarket own label) in the cupboard. What else was I going to put on my ham sandwiches? :slight_smile: Thanks to you and Alan.

1 Like

Speaking of which- Does Chinese-style hot mustard (that nobody EVER uses :grin:) have anything added other than mustard powder and water? When I make it, it never tastes quite like the restaurant hot mustards do. Is there another ingredient?

The sources I’ve checked say that chinese hot mustard is merely the strongest possible mustard powder.

BUT

If you were to mix in a little horseradish into yours, I promise not to tell anyone.

1 Like

My dumpling dipping sauce has all of the usual suspects (soy, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, sometimes sliced scallions or chili crisp). One thing I always do is let my fresh, finely-chopped garlic and sit in the vinegar for ay least 10 minutes (no more than half an hour) to pickle it a bit before adding everything else. I think it makes a difference.

1 Like

It will definitely take the “bite” out of the Garlic.
It can also turn the Garlic a blue or green color. :confused: Especially in long stored Garlic.

Do you mean with jarred minced garlic? I never use that. If it does change color, the soy sauce masks it.

No. I mean with head Garlic that has been stored for a while especially if refrigerated. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/how_tos/5668-why-acid-turns-garlic-blue

Thanks for the link. My garlic isn’t kept in the fridge and is used up pretty quickly, so I don’t have that issue. I have seen it happen with my ginger because I keep it in the freezer.

1 Like

When I make the usual dumpling dipping sauce (dark soy, Zhejiang vinegar, ginger slivers), I like to add in a few squirts of Sriracha. No one in China probably does that either, but none of my parents, nor any of my very traditional Chinese relatives, gives a hoot.

1 Like