December 2020/January 2021 Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

It seems like this board is barely breathing (I’ve got nothing to report myself of late, so I’m not casting aspersions at all) but what the heck, let’s have a new thread for the new month! Openings, closings. This is where they go.

4 Likes

Some news! Eat at Jumbo’s in Ball Square Somerville reopened over the weekend. They’re back to their tried and true pizza/wings/occasional odd vegetarian item. They do still have the impossible burger on their menu, but have pivoted back from the brief concept that was Sassafras. I’ve always felt their pizza was good for a birthday party or event, and the owner is a longtime staple on various Somerville boards and community functions.

5 Likes

Mystic Coffee Roasters is closing their Medford Square cafe. They’ll still be doing their wholesale biz and it seems maybe online ordering.

3 Likes

I’ve been to that Medford Square cafe a few times for meetings pre covid. It’s very, very small, so I am not surprised they closed, especially now that winter is here. I hope they can stay afloat in some form.

1 Like

And a few more going into (or soon) hibernation- Dali, Little Donkey, SRV, most of the Lynch restaurants

5 Likes

My heart sinks. Fingers crossed that hibernating means the restaurants will be able to reopen on the other side. Possibly the closures are even a harder hit for those folks who would have earned substantial tips during a normal holiday season.

6 Likes

I think a lot will depend how bad the situation will get over the next 2+ months. If we see some light at the end of the tunnel by end of February there might be a reasonable chance that for many it is indeed hibernation. If the situation goes worse for an even longer time (April/May) I expect that many of these restaurants will never open again. Unfortunately seeing how people behave (coupled with an extremely incompetent governor) I expect the latter will become reality

1 Like

Well some good news

WALTHAM, MA — A sign near the corner of Church and Main streets announces that Peshwari Kebab is coming soon. The Pakistani restaurant is set to open early next year in the space that was once home to the Common Cafe, if all goes well.

5 Likes

…and add Highland Kitchen…

2 Likes

In many cases I fear it means going dark and praying for a bail out, without which the doors will not reopen.

4 Likes

… and Worden Hall…

1 Like

Pennypacker’s in Magoun Square is going into hibernation as of January 4.

2 Likes

As is the State Park Bar/Restaurant

3 Likes

Gustazo (Waltham and Cambridge) and Highland Kitchen going into hibernation. Both have plans to reopen in the Spring. I sure hope they can!

5 Likes

And Osteria Posto is also hibernating (too bad - we had some great take-out from them recently)

3 Likes

Buttonwood in Newton Highlands is closing in restaurant dining, and doing only take-out from 1/1/21 until ?

3 Likes

Thanks for the Pennypacker’s heads-up. We got a half-porchetta for NYE and it was fabulous:

The “feeds 7 to 8” estimate seems spot-on, the three of us ate very well and we’ll have leftovers for days.

They also told us they’d be reopening after three weeks and seemed quite definite about that.

4 Likes

oh, that is good news. thanks for the update!

1 Like

just added a new month to the title for this thread, since I’m lazy and don’t want to make a new one!

3 Likes

Went there a few days before it closed and wasn’t really blown away. Great staff, but seafood could be fresher. Cooking was solid though.

2 Likes