December 2020/January 2021 Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

I remember this being sad news when they closed but apparently Cafe Polonia has reopened:

3 Likes

What a welcome piece of news!

1 Like

Dear Onion friends - I have a promising bit of news to report.

A Japanese market is supposedly opening today in my little corner of the world (Arlington). I’ll do a walk-by later to see if it’s open and will definitely be going in if it is.

PS You have to scroll down a bit to get to the story.

PPS I’m happy to report that the Roasted Granola is still a bright spot in my neighborhood - they always seem busy when I’ve been by.

2 Likes

Do you know the name of the market?

Maruichi Japanese Food and Deli, a Japanese grocery store, plans to open at 1398 Mass. Ave., the former location of the Meat House, as unanimously approved 4-0 (Joseph Curro Jr. absent) by the Select Board on Jan. 4, subject to the necessary paperwork.

1 Like

A bit of inertia this morning/early afternoon delayed our walk-by. When we walked by around 2 pm, there was a short line (consisting mainly of young Asian people). I’ll try again tomorrow without spring onion and B in tow so I can zone out in line and shop in peace. :wink:

2 Likes

The have a store in Brookline and we love it! Super crowded these days!

1 Like

I have to ask - sorry for my ignorance - what is a Japanese Deli? I get the grocery part, just not sure what to expect from the Deli part. It’s not that far from me so will have to check it out too.

They have lots of prepared foods- fish dinners, pickles… pastries… Ramen station… We go for their garlic chives and chrysanthemum greens in their produce.

4 Likes

According to Boston.com and other outlets, Cape Ann Brewing company has closed permanently.

The brewpub’s deck on Gloucester harbor was a nice location to enjoy a beverage and a snack, so we’ll miss that.

2 Likes

Oh dear. For me and B, this was a reliable place for a good meal and cold beers over the years and it was one of the first places we took spring onion when he could actually sit up at the table. We got married on a Gloucester schooner, so we have a lot of affection for that town in general. This one especially hurts. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

@digga, I thought of you when I posted. I really hoped Cape Ann Brewing wasn’t one of your places, though I guessed it might be.

That location seems attractive enough that I have my fingers crossed that another similar business will start up there when we’re on the other side of these awful times.

1 Like

After a few false starts, I will be stopping into Mariuchi Arlington this afternoon while spring onion is at an after-school outdoor program. And I definitely need the distraction since I am trying not to peek at the inauguration because B (who is physically at work) and I want to watch together with spring onion during dinner.

I’ll report back…I think. :wink:

6 Likes

This is an exciting development but I am saddened to read from your link that Prime, Your Local Butcher has closed. That was a reliable local resource for me. But I imagine the new spot will be too. Can’t wait for @digga’s report!

1 Like

Just got back from Mariuchi. Honestly I didn’t buy much because I’m pretty well stocked right now but there are refrigerated goods such as miso and tofu; a small produce section (I purchased garlic chives, yu choy, and yellow onions); expected grocery items such as instant Ramen, rice, curry bricks (bought some mild for spring onion), dried seaweed, green teas, dried noodles, dried mushrooms; lots of packaged-up meats and seafood (unfortunately it looked like Styrofoam tray packaging but I could be wrong… I didn’t get up close enough). Lots of freezer items such as dumplings, mochi, seafood. I Purchased frozen Sun noodles ramen kit for spring onion, who loves ramen. There are some prepped foods, such as mackerel, various katsu, bulgogi bowls but we have halibut for tonight so I passed. I bought some seaweed salad to try that out - B loves the stuff. There’s a section devoted to Japanese skin care/personal care products, which is fun to browse. Like most Asian markets, there’s a lot of packaging, which makes me sigh. In any case don’t mean to sound lukewarm. I’m very excited about being able to walk to an Asian market. Prices were pretty much in line with other markets, for example, H Mart. Safe to say, I will be back.

ETA: oh, and some nice looking spinach

6 Likes

thanks for the report! any further info re: the prepped mackerel? was it like a salted/broiled prep or something else like miso?

it’s ok if you don’t know, haha. I’m just really curious as I’m a big mackerel fan and wish it was more widely available. I was just reminiscing the other day with the gf about the Whole Foods in Providence that we used to go to that always had amazing fresh mackerel…

2 Likes

I am also a mackerel fan. To me it looked broiled. There were small pieces on a table, along with other lunch/dinner items and packaged up similar to Whole Foods sushi counter. If I try it or any of the other prepped foods, I will report back, but I’m usually not inclined to buy prepped foods. However, in the name of research, I am willing to change my ways.

1 Like

My memory, is that the mackerel was grilled and simply seasoned(salt). I thought it was great!

2 Likes

great! it sounds like saba shioyaki, which is kind of what I’d expect. thanks for the feedback, now @digga doesn’t have to change her ways, haha

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! Did you by any chance notice whether they sell yuba (fresh or dried)? I’m always hoping for a place near us that carries it.

1 Like