December 2020/January 2021 Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

I don’t know but next time I’m in, I will take a closer look. I’ve never had yuba (at least not knowingly). But now I’m curious.

I forgot to mention that I saw Koji in the refrigerated section. I’ve been thinking about experimenting with it.

2 Likes

How big is the store? I’m not up that way much, and wondering if it’s worth the trip if an H Mart or 99 Ranch is much closer. I do like Ebisu market too, but too long of a ride on the T and then bus for me.

@kobuta It’s tough for me to estimate how large the shop is my guess is it’s a bit smaller than the Brookline location? In any case it’s a small shop, probably like a large 7-Eleven but aisles are very tightly-stocked to fit all the inventory. There is an emphasis on convenience items, such as a large snack food section and I didn’t see any giant bags of rice or bulk ramen like HMart. It may not be worth your while coming from Quincy (I think?) by public transportation.

@digga Appreciate the intel. It would be a far hike from Quincy, but I’ll keep my eye out for it in case I’m in the area. I find myself not even getting to the Burlington H Mart as much, because 99 had happily filled that gap for the big bags of Japanese rice.

In retro closure news, I found out that Yummy Cafe in the Wollaston area closed in December. Owners retired, perhaps hastened by the pandemic as well. It was a tiny spot with an assortment of HK style noodles and comfort dishes. My favorite thing from them though that was unique is their Chaozhou (Chiu Chow) style soy marinated duck (or Lo Sui Ngaap, in Cantonese). You could buy a whole or half, and they gave you a nice tangy, vinegary dipping sauce with it. It was really delicious, and I’m sad I didn’t get a final order before they closed shop. 🥲

4 Likes

I stopped today for dinner supplies but I didn’t see yuba. I looked in the refrigerated section but I didn’t see it although I don’t read Japanese and I also didn’t ask for help. I did see several types of natto which surprised me. I’ve never had it and I’m scared to try it but also intrigued at the same time (kinda like durian).

A very green Sun Ramen dinner, courtesy of Mariuchi (I bought bok choy, scallions, spinach, and garlic chives there today) topped with baby broccoli and seared tuna loin (on sale at Whole Foods for $10/lb).

This is B’s bowl, who likes it less brothy than I do and mine was not very appealing-looking.

4 Likes

Natto is less about the taste/flavor but the texture

1 Like

Natto is not too bad, in my experience, but it’s not exactly something I’ve wanted to eat again. My last time eating natto was probably more than 20yrs ago. :sweat_smile:

Durian on the other hand would be right up there with licorice for me. This stuff can be obliterated down to its atoms, and I still don’t want either within 10 ft of me. Barf.

2 Likes

Thank you for looking; my search continues!

1 Like

@nonaggie: What neighborhoods are nearby for you? In worst case scenarios, I know 99 and HMart deliver. Could this be an option for you?

1 Like

@nonaggie I’m probably going back to Maruichi today or tomorrow so I will ask specifically.

1 Like

@nonaggie Spotted today in the freezer section.

3 Likes

Amazing, thanks! And @kobuta, thanks for the tip; I didn’t know that HMart was doing delivery now, but that could be a great option (especially these days when we’re trying to minimize our time in stores).

1 Like

Does HMart in Cambridge deliver? I don’t see that as an option on the webiste.
https://fresh.hmart.com/hfresh-info
delivery to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Northern New Jersey.

I’ve never tried it myself, but I get emails about they’re delivery because I have frequent shopper card with them. I think their HMart Fresh is for fresh food. If you’re ordering other products (dried goods, noodles, etc) it’s their regular online ordering.

Edit: I should add that I think Instacart does offer HMart as an option for some neighborhoods, but I know the experience with them can be hit or miss.

H Mart is a delivery for me via Instacart. I’ve had relatively few issues with a Instacart, 2AB to some shoppers are better than others. If there is an incorrect or spoiled item, I’ve just reported it vis the app and it has been refunded no question.