Dave’s Hot Chicken- Houston

The Nashville hot chicken craze has landed in Houston in the form of two Dave’s Hot Chicken restaurants, one way out Westheimer next to Phoenicia, and another downtown. This is actually a California company that did a pop-up street food event just 5 years ago in 2017 before moving to a brick and mortar and spreading quickly across the US. Clearly folks are anxious for hot chicken, which itself seems to have recently achieved fame, although it has been sold by generations of the Prince family at Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville.

The menu is simple: chicken tenders served alone or as a slider, and a handful of sides to choose from. Choose your heat level. Combos come with fries and a stack of round picked slices. I ordered 2 tender combo at the drive through. The chicken is made to order. I was surprised by the thickish powdery seasoning on the outside crust, apparently applied as a paste. I ordered mild because I’ve heard the hotter choices are really hot, in fact you must sign a waiver to order the Reaper level. The mild was spicier than I imagined. The seasoned crinkle fries are outstanding and were still hot and crispy after the trip home, hitting every red light en route of course, maybe 15 minutes.

I’d probably order it again some day, though I much prefer a liquid heat.

Speaking of, I see where a Hoodadak has opened in the same area selling Korean Fried Chicken. I’ve been to the one in Katy and it’s delicious so I can definitely recommend it.

3 Likes

I’ve passed that place fifty times in the last couple of months but haven’t stopped in yet. Now I’ll HAVE to.

1 Like

I see there’s one in the Village already. That’s within my sometimes grazing ground so I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the warning on heat levels. I can’t handle it the way I used to.

Glad to hear Hoodadak is still open and expanding. Still a bit far from me. Dak & Bop in the Museum district closed and moved elsewhere (the Heights?)

1 Like

I went to Dak & Bop during restaurant weeks 2021. Everything was terrific. They are housed in an old Pizza Hut location on 18th street near Rainbow Lodge. After that a pipe broke and they had to close for several weeks for repairs. I’ve meant to go back to support them but haven’t made it.

1 Like

I see the Westheimer location of Hoodadak is on the way to that TJ’s so I might get there sometime after all. They also have a place in a food court in Katy.

Glad you liked Dak & Bop. Can’t remember what took their place on Binz.

1 Like