[Dartmouth/Sunapee Lakes Region NH]

Wrapping up our two-week stay south of Hanover, we touched some familiar bases but there is not much new to report.

Revolution Cantina in Claremont succumbed to Covid. It was a reliable place for excellent burritos (introduced us to San Diego style, with fries tucked inside) and Margaritas. Replaced by a speakeasy concept that we didn’t try but doesn’t seem destined to last.

North Country Smokehouse is still in business but has ceased some of their low volume lines, such as smoked duck breast. They still make excellent bacon.

Claremont Spice seems to be thriving.

The Norwich Farmer’s Market is still going strong. Some farmers experienced crop loss due to the floods. Excellent cheese maker Woodcock Farm has dropped out, sadly.

King Arthur Flour continues to be worth a trip, but has cut back. You can no longer get hazelnut loaf or a slice of tomato added to an otherwise excellent egg and cheese sandwich on brioche.

Thyme in White River Junction (formerly known as Tip Top Cafe) was the star of our stay. They refresh the menu weekly. Highlights were mushroom dishes, watermelon salad, grilled swordfish, and the deserts. Expertly crafted cocktails and the best fries with aioli…postively crave-worthy and something we order as soon as we arrive, before even looking at the menu.

Forbes Tavern in Grantham used to be a regular haunt, but after a frigid reception one Monday afternoon, when their web site and signs both said they were open but turns out they were only open for drinks, we felt less than welcome and skipped our usual 3-4 visits during our stay. A dismissive email reply from the owner heightened our resolve to cross them off our rota.

Flying Goose Brew Pub in New London filled in admirably. One visit we went through 3 orders of excellent fried green tomatoes, lightly battered and expertly fried. Decent lobster rolls and a wide selection of house-brewed craft beers. We won’t miss Forbes Tavern.

11 Likes

PS. Simon Pearce Restaurant rebounded fairly quickly from the flood, but as of writing is still not open for dinner. We had two excellent lunches.

7 Likes

The menu at Thyme looks excellent!

I’ve been going to that area for years - KAF’s cafe, esp for lunch, has really gone downhill. It used to be fantastic.

1 Like

As much as I love KAF, I don’t disagree. The cafe manager is focused on the bottom line, not the customer experience. Example - the new workflow involves placing an order with a cashier, who hands off the order for fulfillment to worker bees. They don’t show you the receipt until your order is ready. Hence you can’t detect errors before they fill the order - leading to another lengthy delay when they fix it. That the manager thinks this is somehow more efficient speaks volumes. I made a gentle suggestion that showing customers the receipt early could avoid unnecessary delays and got a testy response.

3 Likes

Can you still watch the glass making in the basement? Always fascinating to see.

Glass blowing, prep kitchen, and turbine generator were all out off commission when we were there. They were all flooded.

Ah, that is too bad. Always enjoyed that.