Culinary School Grads: What Construction Pans Were You Exposed To?

I know about the Panasonic. Kaleo wrote about it on Chowhound. I said “not a countertop appliance” - I want an actual range.

3 Likes

I thought it looked like induction hobs set in a glass surface.

Lots of chefs have written cookbooks with cookware sections. And it’s a Raylean speculation that they’ve all/most had the cookware sections ghostwritten. Why would you think that?

Well, if you live long enough, Meekah . . . .

Because it’s industry practice. Do you really think a chef that needs to work 80 hours a week in a busy restaurant will have time to write a book and manage all the hassle with editors and publishers?

And it’s nothing to be ashamed of, the book will still reflect his/her style and cuisine.

Of course it will be different if we’re talking serious home cooks who have become writers, like Marcella Hazan. They don’t have the tough working life of a professional chef.

And since you’re talking about “Culinary School Grads…” I’m assuming you mean professional chefs. Hence my assertion.

Are you trying to be funny?

1 Like

No, I meant what I wrote, culinary school grads, be they pro or not., retired or not, food celebs or not. But I singled out author-chefs, because it is they who write the books addressing cookware. If they went to cooking school, I’m interested in what they trained with.

I find it astounding that you think when a chef writes a book, and that book addresses cookware, that content isn’t written by him/her. You think someone else writes that part, and the author just lets that be published under their name, whether they agree or not? That’s industry practice? Really?

Shirley, you jest.

I don’t ‘think’, I read stuff and know what I’m talking about.

And then in the past (80s, 90s) Joel Robuchon worked together with Patricia Wells.

Anyway, see some excerpts from his book on cookware. Notice how the book says not to pick aluminum cookware. What are the chances this is coming from a professionally trained 3-star Michelin chef who went to cooking school in the 60s-70s?

Ray. You may want to clarify your last statement. You may have a different meaning but it canbe taken as an offensive statement

Meekah said he hoped that Kaleo would come up with an all metal induction unit:

“I’ve got a lot of stuff I want to see before I die … so hurry up! I’m not getting any younger.”

When he wasn’t satisfied with the P:anasonic I teased him.

No offense intended–only humor.

Oh i see. I missed part of that conversation. thanks

I imagine it takes a number of forms, but I cannot imagine a well schooled cook, be they Chef de Cuisine or avid home cook that puts their name on a cookbook without believing that any equipment recommendations are solid. I also imagine the extent to which they think a cookware section important depends on their personal views and interest as well as the cuisine involved. All that said, there are several cookbooks I have read where the authors’ personalities come through so strongly that I am reasonably confident they wrote them (even if they had editors or advisors). In that group I include Les Halles, Momofuku, Hazan’s Classic Italian, White Heat, Salt Fat Acid Heat (plus terrific and instructive drawings), and anything with Alice Waters’ name on it. And of course MTAOFC, which actually shows multiple personalities and has a terrific classic French equipment section, probably heavily influenced by Simone Beck. For a fun insight into one cookbook author and writing process, read The Man Who Ate Too Much, a biography of James Beard.

1 Like

You’re hilarious. Is your point that Joel Robuchon didn’t write his book’s cookware section? Or that he did, and recommends against aluminum?

If he did write it himself (or approved the writing on cookware), how does it inform what he was taught in cooking school? Hint: Robuchon never went to cooking school.

I’ve shown above an excerpt of a book by a professionally trained 3-star Michelin chef, total of 30+ Michelin stars in his career, on the subject of French cooking - and he is recommending a ‘32 cm non stick Asian wok’… :slight_smile:

Ah, the ego is taking over and in come the ad hominem attacks. Already sorry I contributed to this thread.

2 Likes

What did you learn in culinary school?

I was and am very satisfied with the Panasonic Met-All unit. I can post the review again, but somehow I don’t think you’re interested in the truth of this.

1 Like

Ray was saying Meekah wasn’t satisfied with a countertop unit. Is the Met-All 220v only?

I think Meekah is female. Who do you think Ray thinks he was teasing?