Crumbs and sweets, your making Jan - Feb 2022

Definitely. It’s so rewarding when a recipe works out.

Yes. This is a good dessert book. It’s drawbacks so far are that the recipes are a bit too sweet, often have long and foreign ingredient lists, and some are technique heavy. But so far the taste/results have NOT been a problem!

1 Like

I spread raw almond butter between two small brownie squares and they are so tasty. Plain brownies seemed too naked.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting adding tang Zhong to a sandwich loaf. First try was great, not quite as ‘pillowy’ as the Japanese milk bread, but softer, more bendable and stayed soft longer. Second try I used whole wheat thinking it would be soft and lovely - NOT! It was weirdly wet with a strange texture. Not even useful for crumbs or croutons🥺.
Pic below is 3rd time, all white flour. Success.

9 Likes

Looks terrific!

1 Like

I made this apple cider donut loaf cake before the big snowstorm this past weekend. Kept half and gave the other half to my neighbor
so that we’d have a sweet treat after shoveling. No pics taken.

If you have a thing for the flavor of apple cider doughnuts—we do—you might enjoy this cake too. I used both cinnamon and nutmeg as the recipe calls for. I think you could omit the nutmeg if you don’t care for that flavor.

5 Likes

Thanks for the link. My sister would def use this recipe.

1 Like

Hurray. The cake is dense like a tea bread. I think the recipe is rather forgiving too, as I needed to substitute creme fraiche for the sour cream specified, then didn’t have quite enough so made up the shortfall with applesauce. All good.

Mandel bread. This time I used walnuts, flax meal, wheat bran, white whole wheat flour and walnut oil in the dough. I under bake and prefer not to dbl bake so I don’t break a tooth!

4 Likes

Half batch crumb cake. My Aunt’s recipe has butter, sour cream and milk in the cake and only cinnamon in the crumb. Very moist, even better the next day.

7 Likes

Looks wonderful - can you share the recipe? I might decide to be in baking mode this weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure!

Crumb Topping: 1¼ cups all-purpose flour divided ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar ¼ cup granulated sugar 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon salt ½ cup unsalted butter melted

Cake: 1½ cups all-purpose flour ½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt ½ cup unsalted butter softened ½ cup granulated sugar 1 large egg ⅓ cup sour cream ¼ cup milk 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Oven temp 325F. Butter an 8x8-inch square baking pan

Crumb:
In a large bowl, mix together ¾ cup flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Using a fork, stir in the melted butter until mostly combined but still crumbly. Stir in the remaining ¾ cup flour until the mixture is very crumbly and still has large pieces.
Cake:
In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the sour cream, milk, and vanilla, and beat on medium-low speed until combined. Then slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat just until all of the flour is incorporated. Transfer the batter to the pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the crumb topping all over the batter. Bake for 40 minutes or until the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.

5 Likes

Spacing is off with a cut and paste so I hope you can follow it.

1 Like

Thx! Looks very easy.

1 Like

Very!

1 Like

This cake has me hoping for a reason to try it…

I have never eaten a cola cake but this ingredient list sounds really good.

3 Likes

Ooooohhhhh. That speaks to me. Hell, that YELLS in my ear to me!

But other than coworkers, I don’t have anyone to bake for. And I’m not sure they deserve something so heavenly.

I’m going to try halving it as a small sheet cake instead. Too much of a good thing isn’t what I’m after. But a serving would make me happy.

3 Likes

Fairy gingerbread from “the perfect cookie”. I liked the name and lots of ginger! The method was to smear the batter on upside down,parchment lined sheet pans. They are very delicate. I doubt they would travel well.

6 Likes

Another vote on this!