Cruciferous vegs are good for your gut

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/kale-and-butternut-squash-gratin.amp.html

It’s Brussels sprouts stalk season again at Trader Joe’s. Sauteeing them is probably the consensus favorite, especially if you cook them in the grease from crisp bacon, to be crumbled over the cooked sprouts, with or without sauteed onion. I just steam them whole, then drizzle with whatever salad dressing I have on hand.

Don’t disregard the stalk. Hack it into lengths that will fit your pot, then steam until the pieces crack lengthwise. Split them lengthwise, scoop out the vivid green “marrow”. Eat it as cook’s treat, use it in a creamy salad dressing, or pipe it next to regular egg filling for two-tone devilled eggs.
It tastes a lot like artichoke hearts.

2 Likes

Same with broccoli stalks

I’m old enough to recall when the entire head, stalk and florets intact, was the only way fresh broccoli was sold. Increasingly rarely available that way in supermarkets; I snap it up when I see it. The stalk tastes better than the florets, IMO.

Hmm. Non surprise me on that list but watercress. It grows wild by me so I grab the freebee often. Just doesn’t strike me as cruciferous in flavor. Thanks for the post!

1 Like