Cracker Barrel coming to Freehold... no, really!

This rumor has been going around for years. I see it as far back as 2012 on CH. But now it looks like it actually holds some water and might come to fruition:

They tend to build near major highways, I’ve noticed. The only other one in NJ is in Hamilton.

2 Likes

Freehold is the Jersey Shore? It’s 20 miles from the shore!

They like to consider anything in Monmouth County the “shore”.

FWIW I don’t mind a cracker barrel, particularly their breakfasts are decent. Chicken n dumplings is good too.

3 Likes

Do you guys have Waffle House that far NE? We have none of those lovably cheesy chains in the PNW.

I like their breakfast too

2 Likes

No we do not.

1 Like

But we have DINERS! And some of them are good… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very true and that is part of the charm of a Waffle House is when I"m traveling “south” it’s part of the experience. If there were Waffle House’s here then the novelty would wear off and I probably would never go. lol

1 Like

I’m actually looking forward to being able to get a decent chicken fried steak breakfast.

2 Likes

I understand. I actually go to our Hometown Buffet every once in a while when I need a dose of the Southeastern quadrant of the USA.
Fried everything and stuff like blackeyed peas And cabbage. That passes for foreign food up this way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you literally mean a buffet in or around your hometown or a chain buffet by the name of Hometown Buffet? There use to be a chain of buffets in NJ with that name however they pulled out of the market 10-15 years ago. The food for price point wasn’t bad, their corn chowder was to die for. (when my kids were toddlers we did a lot of buffet style dining)

1 Like

There are at least 4 in NJ I have seen, maybe more I haven’t seen. Hamilton, MT Holly, Clinton and MT Laurel.

I don’t dislike Cracker Barrel, but is this a big deal?

1 Like

I’m in westchester and Speaking for myself I’d say yes …the closest Cracker Barrel to us is over an hour away, the next closest is well over two hours away After that, one is looking at a serious road trip. Because there are so few in the area they are always packed with a long wait that is not always doable so we have to skip it which makes us want to go there even more. It’s a cool :sunglasses:unique, kitschy place … it is what it is… there is nothing remotely like it in the area.

1 Like

Got it. Maybe because I used to live close to the Princeton/Trenton area, and I thought I see a few of them here and there.

Westchester, PA?

Westchester County, NY

1 Like

Yes. A chain that goes by various names in different parts of the country. Menu doesn’t appear to differ however.

Looks like this is for real. The construction has been put out to bid.

http://ldiline.com/projects/?p=188956

1 Like

I could do without a Cracker Barrel. I’ve never eaten there. Once I went in the store and that was it. My Mom’s Husband chipped a tooth at the one in Hamilton and never went back.

C’mon yup, you’e got to try it once before you completely dismiss a place!! Did you buy anything at the store? (I’m not really a fan of theirs but when traveling it’s a dependable place to get a decent meal)