costco yay/nay/meh

There are two in New Jersey that sell liquor as well, in Edison and Wayne. The only one in NY state is out on Long Island (Oceanside) - it wasn’t even convenient when we lived in Queens!

1 Like

I saw breathtakingly cheap lamb loin chops at Sam’s Club. If we didn’t have half a lamb from our share in the freezer already, I’d be mighty tempted to grab some.

I know their gas is cheaper but I have a hard time wanting to wait in line to get to the pump. I have yet to see a time when there wasn’t a line at each pump

1 Like

Depends on if you have more time than money. About a year ago in SSF the gas pumps were redone, now there are about 10 rows. There’s a lit sign that lets you know which pumps are available, much easier now.

2 Likes

First thing in the morning (6-6:30am) or just before they close (9-9:30pm on weekdays).

1 Like

And the chops in the batch I got recently are much thicker than before. I vacuum pack them in portions of two, and one chop used to be enough for a meal. Now I still have some left over after two dinners.

I don’t get the lack of logic

(post deleted by author)

I used to live near the Costco in Astoria, and they definitely sold wine and spirits in a separate area with its own entrance from the parking lot. I haven’t been there since 2015, though.

Yeah, several of the Costcos in NY have this set up, but those liquor stores are completely different business and don’t sell Kirkland-branded products. The one next to the Yonkers Costco has decent prices on regular liquor brands, but no major advantage over any other liquor store. I haven’t tried many of the Kirkland-branded liquors but I will say their French vodka is nearly indistinguishable from Grey Goose, and an absolute steal at about half the price. We’re not huge vodka drinkers but if we were, I’d be making the trek to Wayne, NJ frequently for that alone.

The shoulder chops are always right around that price in my stores, whereas the racks are usually $12.99-14.99. I love both, but buy the more economical shoulder chops more frequently - they’re a steal, honestly, given the excellent quality. I also buy the boneless legs for $4.99/lb often.

This is all a function of which Costco and when you go. If you post on one of your local social media platforms (NextDoor, local Facebook page), if you have them, other people may be able to help with best timing. But, if it’s not worth the $5 or so to you, then pay the difference. I find that 4 or 6 cars in front of me is only 10-15 minutes anyway.

Gas in KC is running around $2.64 and Costco is only a couple of cents cheaper, so the savings aren’t worth the effort most of the time, plus the attendant is weird.

Yes it does make sense. There’s more totalk about in Costco than the roasted chickens. For example, Kirkland Grass Fed Butter from New Zealand is way better than ordinary Kirkl;land butter and very nearly as good as theKerrygold–for about half the price.

2 Likes

My nmeigjhbor is very big on the Grangestone single malt.

1 Like

I like that New Zealand butter a lot, think it’s better than Kerrygold (I’ve only tried the salted)

Now that TJ again has the cultured butter from Brittany, I’m getting that again, love it but I guess the New Zealand one is a better price.

1 Like

I have a feeling I’ll be driving to Edison more often now that The Sprout no longer works in Woodbridge. I have family in the Boston area and always seem to manage to get to the Waltham Costco since it’s not far off of 95.

Our favorites are the Costco bourbon for making Pinecones (bourbon and lemonade - sounds awful, tastes great), Aperol in the large bottles, and great prices for Angel’s Envy and Bulleit bourbons.

1 Like

I wish Costco could be a one stop shop for me, but alas the fruit it awful and they don’t have some of my key items. I find there’s too much processed food overall.

Yay
Sicilian Lemon Juice twin pack bottles
Big jars of capers and sun dried tomato and pickled beets
Kirkland raw nuts in bags
Bananas
Big bags of fresh garlic
Lundberg short grain brown rice
Spray oil twin packs on sale are a steal, olive or avocado
Giant bags of Cape Cod chips are so cheap

Nay
Why no fresh herbs?
Vanilla beans are wizened and overpriced
Appalling off season tomatoes
The onions and potatoes are very unreliable, as bad as Publix - produce here in Central FL nowadays is often rank and overpriced
No cheap cooking wine candidates in the vino dept
No extra firm tofu, just waterlogged firm
No decent tortilla chips or fresh corn tortillas

Meh
the big jar of saffron is just ok, but there’s a ton of it
Kirkland EVOO bottle is eh, there are no canned options at all
The bakery bread is just ok
Kirkland frozen fruit is not great - I’ve tried em all, I think it’s the handling, it must melt and refreeze
Boring limited selection of boring boring yogurt
A million options of frozen breaded boring things, I once counted seven chicken nugget options?

1 Like

The Costco thread 2024- Ontario Region

@elvisahmed keeps a regional Costco thread running on the Ontario board, in case anyone is interested. Costco is highly regional.

The selection in Canada is quite different than what I’ve seen or heard about being available at America Costcos.

LOL.

At Costco, that would be called a “potted plant”

3 Likes