costco yay/nay/meh

great idea!

1 Like

I think it has more to do with differences in regional tastes. If you live in a place where a croissant is white bread in a croissant shape, the costco croissants are going to be great.

Neglected to mention that I have the good fortune to live equidistant from Costco and Patisserie Rotha, where the croissants are ethereal, perfection! If in or around Berkeley on a day when theyā€™re open, itā€™s well worth a stopā€¦ā€¦if thereā€™s a line, itā€™ll be worth the wait!

patisserierotha.com

1 Like

I admit that I donā€™t know what a really good bagel is, but Iā€™m pretty sure the bagels at my local Costcos arenā€™t it.

5 Likes

Looks amazing!! I tried to convince my d to attend Berkeley for the rice sandwich shop but as usual, she ignored my advice.

In addition to the various beef cuts mentioned above, I love their organic ground beef (comes in a three-pack of 20 oz blocks). The Wagyu ground beef is also very good as part of a mix for burgers (itā€™s a little greasy on its own). I also like any of the sausages they carry by Teton Waters Ranch. Today (at the Nanuet, NY location) I found flanken-cut short ribs at a reasonable price, will report back after I try them.

Their price on Kerrygold butter and LOL Half and half (any heavy cream) canā€™t be beat. My local stores want $5 for a quart of half and half, while they are $2.19 at Costco. Their Parmigiano Reggiano is always moist and fresh. Nuts are generally excellent quality.

4 Likes

Lamb chops are way cheaper than anywhere else. I vacuum pack them two to a bag, sous-vide from the freezer to 132F, quick hot sear, very good.

Viccolo cornmeal-crust pizzas, packages of three for the same price as singles in other stores. 1/2 of one is about right for lunch.

Itā€™s frustrating when they stop stocking a favorite, like the Peerless Guatemalan coffee beans. And when they run out of smaller-sized menā€™s clothing. I got a pair of Leviā€™s 505s for $29, and when I went back to get another a few days later, only very large sizes were available.

2 Likes

I was raised with ā€œechtā€ (proper) NY bagels but they would probably not be most folksā€™ favorite. They arenā€™t much larger than the shape of an adult hand touching the tip of the thumb to that of the index finger. They have a surface sheen and are extremely chewy. Your jaw should ache when you are finished. Best eaten warm from the oven. The baker will die a little inside if you ask to have it toasted, or want it to contain berries.

8 Likes

This has nothing to do with food, but still a big YAY today at Costco. I had a flat and the tire could not be fixed, but they gave me just over 50% credit (road hazard warranty coverage) on a new tire today, and did enough research to confirm that I didnā€™t have to buy a full set on my AWD vehicle. Saved a bunch of dough.

11 Likes

I also like the Kirkland almond butter. Itā€™s just nuts and a little salt. Costs the same as other almond butters but is twice as large.

2 Likes

The bagels here in my area of SoCal are boiled and are pretty good for the very low price. Not as good as our nearby bagel specialty shop, but decent. Trader Joeā€™s bagels are pretty decent too. Again, not the best, but better than anything at a supermarket or a few of the bagel chains. JMHO of course.

1 Like

In my state (WA), I donā€™t find Costcoā€™s brand liquor prices very good. Regular grocery stores beat them half the time with rotating ā€œsalesā€. The liquor tax burden here is high, maybe thatā€™s to blame.

1 Like

costco vodka recommended by wirecutter:

Kirkland bourbon sells out in st aug within a day or two of arrival at the store, we havenā€™t tried it (and I couldnā€™t tell good bourbon from bad)

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard the short rib lasagna is good, anyone tried it? also Iā€™ve wanted to try the cottage pie, itā€™s just such a big portionā€¦

The bourbon is good for old fashioneds and the like. The XO cognac is great for the price.

I didnā€™t realize that NY/NJ costcos donā€™t sell alcohol even at a separate store (I think there ar 2 allowed in Ny state but the one near nyc is not what I would call easily accessible) so Iā€™m going to have to remember to order these things next Iā€™m in boston and carry them back.

+1 almond butter. Peanut butter also good but I like almond better in general.

If you have Nutella lovers in your circle, the price is excellent (and the jars are giant).

The store brand spice selection has shrunk a bit, but the turmeric, granulated garlic, and dried onion are staples (I miss the onion powder).

Their saffron is also excellent, and well-priced.

I ate one after a minute in the air fryer tonight. Delicious. And all butter, too.

The lamb chops have been 5.99 per pound lately. Maybe thereā€™s an unusual abundance this season? I donā€™t recall them being so economical in prior years.

1 Like

Their Kouign Amann look delicious, too.

The best patisserie in Sacramento is Moonbelly, in my opinion. Next Berkeley trip Iā€™ll try Rotha!

1 Like

I was miffed my freezer was full when I saw them in Dec :joy:

Maybe itā€™s that ā€œlamb seasonā€ in the US isnā€™t till spring, so most people arenā€™t buying?