Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Leaving aside the various reasons why foreign tourists might visit our capital, they will find that, from a food point of view, they are probably visiitng Europe’s most diverse capital city.

Of course, depending on how much time is available, then I would always urge visitors to get out of London and see something of the country the vast majority of us live in.

2 Likes

So…London is the capital? :neutral_face:

Sort of kidding. Aside from various musicals that I enjoyed that referenced taking place there, I had the opposite of interest, until I realized the number folks from the colonies that were coming there. Are they also represented elsewhere?

We’ve long welcomed (or tolerated) immigration from the former colonies. And, yes, those communities are in various parts of the country. My own part of the world (northwest England), is home to many of Pakistani origin - folk who came here in the 1970s to work in the cotton mills. The city of Leicester, in the English Midlands, has something like 40% of the population with a South Asian heritage. Most black people in the country will have a Caribbean heritage, with folk arriving mainly in the 40s/50s/60s.

2 Likes

Or maybe that was a simile.

Sometimes I hate it when I’m right. Hate is a very big word. It applies.

My SIL and I are the family worriers. We have a back channel email thread going on so we can vent our concerns to one another without stressing our spouses. It’s working. grin

SIL wrote:

Possible 2nd rush on grocery stores:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/a-second-rush-of-grocery-hoarding-may-be-coming-soon-experts-warn/ar-BB17bFNX?li=BBnb7Kw

We are more prepared for that 2nd rush:

My response (absent some family stuff):

Ha! I’ll show them paranoid! Just because we’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get us!

From the first: " This month, according to market research firm IRI, about 10% of packaged foods, beverages and household goods are out of stock in stores across the U.S., up from 5% pre-pandemic." Again, a demonstration that people can’t cook. I think flour is an anomaly partly because people (like Janet) are baking and partly because people buy it because they think they should.

From the ABC News link: I’m sorry. Boiling pasta and opening a jar of sauce is not cooking from scratch.

Some links of interest from the links above.

https://www.eatthis.com/fewer-food-options-grocery-stores/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

In my grocery, Grey Poupon (owned by Kraft) has disappeared from the shelves. This seems consistent with reporting. It may be temporary and perhaps purposeful to reinforce product position as a premium brand.

Our freezer is full. To the brim.

I have a trip coming up starting tomorrow. While I’m gone I’m going to be giving thought to canned goods for an online order from our warehouse store Sam’s Club. Our usual pantry space is full but I have space in my office lab for cans of veg. I should be able to get eight cases of cans in. I’ll also do another big cook (pasta sauce for sure) and home can.

At the risk of being wrong, I anticipate a shallower but longer surge, perhaps with more regional variation.

4 Likes

Which leads to the question…given that freezer space is full, what canned goods–especially veg–do you like, and why? I’m thinking peas but am rather at a loss beyond that.

2 Likes

Along with tinned peas and carrots (a French brand we enjoy), we always have a stock of beans - cannellini, butter beans, pinto, chickpeas, etc - just because they are versatile (and are essential for my cheat’s three bean curry). Then there’s always artichoke hearts which find their way into salads on served with lamb chops.

5 Likes

I personally despise canned peas (maybe because of the sallow green color they turn in to) but love frozen.

I only buy canned corn, in addition to chickpeas and kidney and black beans.

3 Likes

Personally, I’d skip the peas, but stock green, and other beans. Yes to the artichokes, @Auspicious, mentioned, but I’d get both pickled and packed in water. Maybe a large bottle of three bean salad, such as I’ve seen in Costco, beets and pickled beets, sauerkraut, Giardinaria, sun dried tomatoes in oil, olives (I know the last 2 are fruits) green chiles, chipotle chiles in adobo, posole, (grain) and canned regular and creamed style corn (grains), cans of mushrooms, just in case. Some tomatillos for sure.

2 Likes

Good quality canned tuna and Spam. Uh uh ~ fried Spam is good. It’ll do in a pinch🙂

3 Likes

Don’t forget the pepperoncini either!

1 Like

Heard. We have about enough room in our freezer for a pencil. It’s full. Canned goods are our only option for addition stores.

Chickpeas and kidney and black beans are all on my list. Hummus, read beans & rice, and burritos among many other options.

2 Likes

I have never in my life had Spam. I’m only 60 but I see no point in breaking my record. grin We have lots of protein in the freezer, we’re just out of room in there for veg.

2 Likes

Where are the posters from Hawaii when I need them :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Unfortunately I have.

Late 1970’s on a camping trip to Big Bend National Park. The fellas and girls grilled up Spam every day but after two days I couldn’t take it anymore and went to the park store and shelled out premium bucks for frozen hamburger patties.

I ate like a king while the peasants fed on Spam. Sharing was not involved as those burgers were expensive plus I drove the 600 miles from Houston in my truck. I was not going to eat Spam for a week.

1 Like

And now for something completely different.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&p=monty+python+spam+skit&_guc_consent_skip=1595864646#id=1

1 Like

Spam for a meal (one), or a snack (one), okay. Spam for a week–not so much. :thinking:

5 Likes

I ate it for two days and haven’t touched it in over forty years.

4 Likes

I did. Once. In 4th or maybe 5th grade. Largely in fear of censure from the Lunch Ladies (two grandmotherly women whose job it was to make sure we didn’t throw away our flatware with the napkins and milk cartons before we handed our trays in through the dish-washing window and  that we had eaten at least most our lunch. Who would actually go so far as to send you back to eat more of it you couldn’t convince them you had a very  good reason not to.:wink:) Though as it turned out they took pity on us that day, and let the uneaten Spam slide…

Under (very careful, polite) interrogation (by me) later in the week, the cafeteria chef told me someone had donated a couple of cases of the stuff to the school and that, never having tasted it herself, she figured she’d give it a shot… (My memory on this part is dim, but I think she may’ve said she thought it was like “regular” canned ham which, to be fair, wasn’t bad - 45 years ago, anyway. Though my only experience with that was the Danish “boiled ham” that had to be refrigerated even before opening it…) And to her credit, she didn’t repeat the experiment…

Most of us were only vaguely aware of its existence and had never eaten it before, so between that and The Lunch Ladies, I/we tried it with as open minds its appearance allowed. And I’ll admit it wasn’t actually gross. But it did have a really weird, almost “chemical-y” aftertaste - like there was too much salt-but-it-wasn’t-salt in it or something. But only one of us ate more than a few bites, and that was because he’d grown up eating it, since his father had developed a taste for it somewhere along the line (and the kid claimed he actually liked it)…

4 Likes

Not Hawaiian here, but will this do:

3 Likes