Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

That is too funny @Miss_belle! I have a friend who is a little eccentric, let’s say. She was married and raising children once, in a very nice home, and had a nice, large kitchen. Evidently she didn’t believe in DW’s, so used hers as a drying rack only. WTH? But to each their own…

1 Like

@ChristinaM @Lambchop @Miss_belle @Harters @jcostiones @tomatotomato and anyone else I may have forgotten

Thank you all for the great DW tips and suggestions. I’m going to save this thread for when I finally decide what to do next. To be honest, I’m not quick to make this kind of decision. I’ve been thinking about getting a new vacuum for 6 months now - feel free to offer suggestions…

1 Like

You can add me to the Bosch brigade. I put one in my previous house during a kitchen remodel, and we bought one here when the old one failed and was going to be too expensive to fix. They clean well and are very quiet. Ours has a little red LED that shines on the floor when it is running so you know it is working. Our dishwasher is quieter than the house air conditioning.

Regardless of brand, American efficiency regulations make the drying cycle not particularly effective. When selecting a dishwasher be sure it has a button for ‘Extra Dry.’ Also due to efficiency requirements and due to water reuse in the dishwasher, you can expect the cycle time to be longer on newer dishwashers.

If your electric utility has time-of-use discounts, a delay timer can be very convenient.

2 Likes

The operative words regarding cycle times, as compared to older versions is, MUCH, MUCH, longer. Ours takes about 2.5 hours. I always put it on extra dry, although it doesn’t have a heating element for drying like the old ones. The big advantage to this, is the ability to wash plastic items on bottom shelf. Think the new ones are easier on fine china too, especially scaling way back on detergent and using the delicate or china setting.

1 Like

@MsBean, regarding vacuums. I love the upright Sharks that can be found at Costco, sometimes with a $30-40 dollar discount on ad cycles. Mine is still working pretty well after 5 years, but is gradually losing suction, and may need replacement soon.

When we bought all the kitchen appliances at once, for a remodel, they gave us a Miele canister style vacuum. It is very nice and super quiet, though I only like dragging it around for certain jobs. If sound level is important you may want to check out various models in that brand. I’ve used a Dyson while visiting friends, and extremely disliked the model they had. I think at specialty appliance stores, you can plug the various brands in and give them a try even.

1 Like

Just seeing the Bosch discussion now, just a FYI I thought my wife was nuts wanting to spend that money on a dishwasher. Nope! I was wrong, Bosch is by far the best dishwasher I have ever had. Definitively worth the money and the slightly longer wash cycle times.

1 Like

Thanks for weighing in. It’s funny that you mention drying as that is something that was never very important to me. In fact, if I’m around when the wash cycle is done, I’ll cancel the program and slightly open the door so that things dry naturally. It doesn’t always happen as I tend to run the DW while sleeping.

1 Like

For whatever reason, Mr Bean has a strong preference for canister vacuums - not that I’ve ever seen him vacuum - but since I don’t think uprights are all that much better I’ve been focusing on canisters. Right now the Mieles are high on the list but there are so many models and they are so much money. I’m not sure I can justify them.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I’ll add another vote for Bosch to my tally!

I kind of think of Bosch’s as the Toyota Camry of DW’s…

1 Like

I bought a new Camry and drove it for 15 years. I bought a new Corolla recently, drive less, I’m 63 so somebody do the math because I’m afraid to.

2 Likes

Although I’m senior to you @jcostiones, we are still very young, with many adventures yet to come! I’m damned if Covid’s going to get me, and prepared to wait it out, no matter how long it takes.

Yes, Camry’s are great, as well as Corollas - every Toyota driver I know, buys them repeatedly; we’re on our second one, the old first one was given to our eldest when she was a sophomore in college. We drive our cars forever, and mine, what I call a deluxe Toyota (Lexus) is 20 years old, and has moss growing on it, because it hasn’t been garaged. Due to you know, the problem that garages sometimes have…

4 Likes

We’ve had a number of Corollas over the years (although, if memory serves, the European model is different/smaller than the American one). We both drive Skodas now - as reliable as a Toyota, but cheaper.

When I bought the Camry I sat in a Corolla and it was too small. The new one seems larger or maybe I’m shrinking as I’ve heard it happens.

Do they still put the steering wheels on the wrong side in the UK? :wink:

1 Like

??? What problems?

We have them on the same side as they do in Japan, so I suppose that’s correct then. :grinning:

I had a rental Camry on one trip to America. Nice drive.

3 Likes

Miele vacuum forever and ever! I love mine. Zero issues and had it maybe 7 years? I don’t use it as much as we should LOL but it does a great job. I had to replace the hose since the original one cracked but that was probably more user abuse than anything else.

This is so funny about your husband’s vacuum preference. I just checked again. The one we bought forever ago is $299 on Amazon. Classic C1 model.

You know the kind that has nothing to do with the owner. They have a natural magnetic attraction for junk, and kid’s items they don’t want in their apartments, but want to use your real estate for storage. Things are going to change soon. Maybe. I hope.

1 Like

Miele vacuums do get high praise - almost as much as Bosch dishwashers.

I have a housekeeper who came every two weeks. The second time she came she brought her vacuum and told me mine didn’t work well. That was a couple of years ago. If I had to vacuum between visits, I used my dustbuster so I never really gave much thought to the full size vacuum. Fast forward to CV and now I have to do the vacuuming - lo and behold - my vacuum sucks! I guess really is doesn’t suck at all so now I’m on the hunt to replace it.

3 Likes