Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Poor you. Up here, it’s not brilliant, but certainly not as dire as you’re experiencing. Even my Coop (not brilliant) is managing. image

Sorry no idea why my photo is uploading as such but can’t fix it on my cracked phone.

Prefacing this post - not complaining, not trying to be a “Chicken Little”, simply reporting some news.

We needed to replace a built in kitchen appliance, but nothing truly essential. Tired of looking at the empty hole, and missed the convenience of it. Could have waited, but glad we didn’t. We managed to find the one of our choice, yesterday, in stock at the appliance store where we bought all our appliances for a kitchen remodel. The sales rep/technical associate told H that the supply chain for appliances is severely impacted (no surprise there), and he’s advising all his contractors, designers, etc to get their orders in ASAP. In turn, the contractors are telling him that even basic building supplies are getting difficult to find. We’re beginning a new phase of remodeling in August, but are fully prepared for delays of any and all types. It may be frustrating, but we’ll get through it.

What worries me most about this, is the possibility of severe storms that may occur through fall, and potential of scarce availability of even basic things, such as plywood.

As far as food and essentials, H is finding incredible stuff and bargains at the Fred Meyer (Kroeger) here in town. I’m getting specialty items on line, but having to wait a long time for delivery. All ok, nothing we can’t live without. One thing we consistently can’t find still, is ammonia, despite H looking each and every time at the store.

Hope food and cleaning supplies are becoming more normal in other parts of the country too.

5 Likes

That’s on my list also. You can do laundry in 10% ammonia and just wring it and hang to dry. No rinse required. I wouldn’t have though other people were hunting for it.

1 Like

Use it for all sorts of little things, and add it to laundry in small amounts, for a little boost to the detergent. Also, if the cat or dogs maul me, very helpful for removing blood stains. Great cleaner too, if out of other stuff, diluted of course. Interesting to know about the 10% solution and no rinse for laundry. Helpful for camping/boating surely.

2 Likes

I had a great cat that like to play rough, very rough. A friend in veterinarian school came over and engaged my cat in “play.” Within a minute both his arms were shredded and bleeding.

1 Like

Hi @Lambchop! Have you ever heard about an old-timey product called washing soda? Would it help you at all, I wonder.

At the beginning of this year—before the pandemic hit—I was looking to simplify my cleaning products. Washing soda and Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds (which is a concentrate) were two items I started using.

1 Like

Actually no, @tomatotomato, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I do have a box of Borax, which is chemically similar, and found out you can make your own washing soda by baking “baking soda” as it creates a chemical reaction to be like commercial washing sodas. So I’m intrigued! And Dr Bronner’s products I do love. We always have the peppermint soap on hand. I’ll look for the one you mentioned, as I’m thinking they’d both be quite safe and gentle on a variety of surfaces, maybe better for environment too?

An old time product I do use and recommend, if you’re not familiar, is Mrs. Wright’s bluing liquid. To get things you can’t bleach, whiter. A couple of rinses of that and maybe a couple days hung out in bright sun works wonders.

2 Likes

Back in my youth (before I needed to pay much attention to laundry products), there was a washing machine powder in the UK that used to advertise that it had a “blue whitener”. Always struck me as most odd but, presumably, it was whatever chemical that’s also in Mrs Wright’s

1 Like

Will have to find out what chemical it is. Have a bottle in laundry room. You can also use it to make the most amazing magic crystal science projects for young children. It’s even entertaining for adults like me. :upside_down_face:

I have a bottle of Mrs. Wright’s hanging around somewhere.

BTW, I use a washing soda solution to soak my gas grill grates and my oven racks for a deep clean.

Mostly I dilute Sal Suds for a semi-all-purpose cleaning spray. I say semi because the mix is still a bit soapy for me. I like this and a microfiber mop to clean my kitchen tile floor because my dog makes a mess of the kitchen floor. Adorableness has its price.

When cat was a kitty, and youngest grand dog was a younger pup, my arms were a mess all the time. Legs and chest also. I found myself explaining to dentists and docs, that I wasn’t in fact, a cutter :scream_cat: The pup uses me for a landing pad still, knocks the air out of me, and I get bruises; he still gets carried away with biting me, and yes, blood.

But guess what? H just returned from Home Depot & said he had a present for me. Was expecting a beautiful hanging basket or something…but it was not one but TWO 64 oz jugs of lemon ammonia. Ok with me, I’m actually thrilled!

5 Likes

You’re weird. I think that, in real life, I’d really like you. :grin:

1 Like

I’ll certainly take that as a compliment @Harters! However, you must know that I’m instructing DD2 to make sure and pitch to H what I want for my b-day later this month. He’s not getting off very easily either! :joy_cat: It’s been a bad year damnit!!

3 Likes

Speaking of baking soda, I hoped to grab a few boxes this morning but the baking soda shelf was empty save for one lonely closet freshener pack. Seemed like a weird thing to be out of, but it makes sense when viewed as a cleaning rather than baking supply.

1 Like

Im going to be following this thread to se what I can do with the three or four boxes I have opened and dated, but couldn’t bear to toss. I must use about 1 Tb or so every several, months for cooking, and keep the opened boxes forwho knows what.

1 Like

If you have a stainless steel kitchen sink, make a paste of baking soda and water to clean/shine it up using a vinegar-dampened paper towel or sponge.

3 Likes

Yes! Baking soda paste is similarly useful for scouring pots. The vinegar helps with shine.

I also toss a handful of baking soda down sink or bathtub drains and chase that with white vinegar to freshen and degunk. After the fizz stops I follow this treatment with hot water, sometimes from my electric kettle.

5 Likes

If you’re really in need of some for cooking, and have access to a Costco card, they sell it in large bags at Costco. I learned that people put it on their roofs as a low cost alternative to Moss Out or similar. Told H about it, but we have fairly new roof, and use of BS voids the warranty. You may be able to find it at Home Depot too.

I remember brushing my teeth with it as a kid occasionally, when we ran out of toothpaste. Need an Alka Seltzer? Dissolve about 1/2 tsp in water and drink. Dissolve in the bath for bug bites, rashes, stinging nettle and poison ivy. I usually always keep an open box in fridge as a deodorizer. Tons of uses.

2 Likes

Yes to all of that! Love the instant chemical reaction when adding the vinegar to soda. Excellent also for gentle removal of countertop stains.
Gee, we should write a collective helpful hints column for the newspaper. Oh wait, no newspapers any more. (Almost) @tomatotomato

2 Likes

I have a long term relationship with an appliance repair person (don’t ask). He was here the other day as my fridge was acting up. Luckily it wasn’t a serious issue but he did mention he is finding it impossible to get large kitchen appliances, especially mid-level appliances. The wait times are 8 - 12 weeks. I will need a new dishwasher in the near, but not too near, future and for a minute thought about ordering it now just in case. I decided against it since if the DW went I could wash by hand but if someone’s only fridge went it would be an issue.

1 Like