Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Like @Auspicious, I keep a very well provisioned house and am an avid home canner/jammer as well. Have decided that I’m a dedicated hunter/gatherer, must be deeply encoded in my DNA. I’m a little low on certain things due to being sick and not doing regular Costco runs.

I plan on buying mostly shelf stable items such as: a case of evaporated milk, bulk beans and legumes, powdered buttermilk, a couple extra boxes of baking soda, cornstarch, Wondra, fresh baking powder, fresh flours and yeast. Of course plenty of tp and paper towels. Frozen veggies, any meat we may need (as it is we could probably eat out of our freezers for a couple months) As well, some wines, beer, a big bottle of Bailey’s and probably some 1.75 liters of bar basics, especially imported stuff. Don’t typically stock much in the way of hard liquor as we usually like to have a cocktail out if we’re going to have one. Bourbon is an exception to that, as H likes it on the rocks occasionally, and it serves as a meter to his bad days at work. I sometimes use it in recipes, but quite rarely. Good on cleaning products, but will probably pick up extra laundry and dishwasher detergents. Purell. Stocked on personal care items. Wish list: Cipro and a few other wide spectrum anti-b’s. As I’ve learned, when viruses are prevalent, opportunistic bacterial infections can follow. Although I hope it’s a long, long time before I have to use another anti-b! :pray:t2:

5 Likes

I totally get you most of the time. I think we need, how shall I say it, ahem, an enthusiastic engineer on this site. I really enjoy the back and forths on certain threads when people have different opinions/knowledge bases. I have family members who are engineers, have worked closely with engineers on a huge construction project, and even had an engineer boyfriend once. He was a handy guy to have around, but not quite sure how he got his PE, as he could be quite obtuse at times :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I am trying to boost my immunity as I can, in light of a few airplane trips. My usual turmeric+ of course, and Airborne used to work great for me in the days of crowded offices with coworkers’ kids bringing every bug possible through the season, but someone just recommended elderberry so I’ve ordered that instead. Prevention…

There were maybe 6 masks on my full flight, half looked N95-style. (The interesting thing about the npr mask article was self-contamination of the mask - and person - during removal, for casual users.)

3 Likes

Too funny about your sister and the Hummel going missing! We have a jewel thief on my husbands side, and we know who she is! :scream_cat: Lives in Pa, but coming to visit this summer. I don’t want her in my house if I’m gone. I’m going to hide my jewelry boxes. Seriously!! Not meaning to cast aspersions on your sis, maybe she just took your mom literally. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thanks for posting that article @Saregama, I will be reading it.

Talking about jewellery thief, my MIL said one of H’s cousin is one! Everytime when she left the in laws house, things gone missing. The dilemma, she is police as profession, no joke.

2 Likes

That is funny @naf, but also sad, especially in light of her profession. Our jewel thief is an electrical engineer, with a Master’s degree, and her husband is a mechanical engineer with a PhD, recently retired. Money is certainly not an issue, but greed and cheapness is present in :spades: spades! Truly I don’t trust either one of them, nor their spawn, which are practically clones of each parent. One of them an aeronautical engineer. (Not picking on engineers here or casting aspersions @Auspicious, just conveying their high education levels and respectively well paying professions.)

3 Likes

Maybe the thrill of cheating? Sensation like gambling or addiction for example? Or genetic problems, heh!

The point is, she needs to remember where she has got the stuff and not showed it to such and such people again.

2 Likes

Thieves come in all shapes and sizes.

I would bow out gracefully, and tell them that you and your husband are on vacation for those days.

1 Like

I do think @Lambchop should indirectly hint that you know, if she is intelligent enough, that will stop.

I met that woman twice when I was at my MIL, and it isn’t my business to say whatever.

Lol, since it is on H’s side, it must definitely be genetic :joy_cat::joy_cat:

Seriously I think it is all about greed. They always try to take advantage of people as much as possible; as guests they never contribute to a meal, take us out, or even supply a single bottle of wine. But they always ask what we have to drink. At my late SIL’s house, we saw them raid the pantry, and take granola bars, nuts, chips and snacks without even asking for a day trip they were taking! I could go on and on with stories, but won’t. I simply don’t know what makes people like that. Other SIL says it is totally alien to the way she was raised, and has her own many stories about the stuff they’ve pulled on her. I love to be generous and sharing, it brings me much happiness, but not with that family.

Oh sis definitely took mom literally . . . there’s not a thieving bone in her body, which is why it’s so funny.

Re jewelry. My niece’s husband (mom’s granddaughter’s hubby) is a watch hound. When he recently turned 40 mom wanted to give him my dad’s high school graduation watch circa 1939 with its equally elaborate case. Couldn’t find it anywhere. Swore we must have given it to one of the boys back in 2001, but nobody owned up. Looking for note paper a few weeks ago and voila–there was dad’s 1939 gold Hamilton watch in its original case. Probably just thrown into a drawer in the last few minutes of moving from home of 50+ years.

4 Likes

Just curious, what does H think of them?

That is a good idea @Barca, but they don’t have their dates confirmed. They will be driving and towing a small trailer (don’t know how you refer to them in your respective countries, but in UK they are caravans). We have a space in our backyard for their trailer, and have electrical hookups, so we are going to put them there. We’ll lock the doors at night, but will let them in when they arise and provide coffee (tea in their case) and breakfast. I feel bad having to do this since they are immediate family, but H fully agrees with me.

Tell them you are too sick to entertain them, which is the truth!

1 Like

I can certainly be enthusiastic. grin My opinion is that we should each try to sort out our opinions from facts and be civil. That leads, I think, to engaging discussions from which we can all learn.

It’s kind of sad, but he doesn’t like them. After H losing a sibling prematurely, I kind of thought they might become closer, but if anything he dislikes her even more due to her many antics. It is what it is, but I wish it was different, truly.

1 Like

Love this story @gaffk; so glad the watch was found. Evidently for a price I’ve heard one can hire treasure hunters that search for valuables in people’s homes that have been misplaced or hidden and “lost”, before estate sales or the like. Have to admit I have some things that I have no idea where to find. Mainly due to packing stuff up for remodeling projects, or tearing through the house before company comes, and putting problem clutter or things that haven’t been put away in a box or paper bag and then stashing it in a closet or somewhere. I highly don’t recommend this kind of household management. :upside_down_face:, or more appropriately, mismanagement.

2 Likes

Back to stocking up in case of viral pandemic, forgot to mention butters for the freezer, extra eggs, and some jarred stock bases from Penzey’s , similar to Better than Bouillon which is a staple in our house, but that I’ve found only in chicken and beef flavors. I really like Penzey’s ham base and seafood base, which I hope they still have. Received a 50$ gift card at Christmas. Also I will get a few tins of anchovies, capers, sun dried tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts. Good olives too. Avocado and extra cooking oils also. Think that’s about it. I must be getting better since I’m even thinking of all these things. Batteries too if needed. Ok, I’m done now.

4 Likes

Speaking of jarred stock bases, has anyone tried using Better Than Bullion as a base for chicken soup? Curious if that would make satisfactory soup in a pinch. I’m a BTB newbie.

Was thinking that maybe BTB roasted chicken base plus carrots, celery, and pastina (or similar) could make a quick light soup if one were under the weather and unable to get to the store easily? I haven’t tried relying on a jarred stock base for broth before.