Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

Awww, hope your kid is alright and will get better soon. Was the dog vaccinated?

Actually i’ve heard that rabies is one of the most dangerous virus, worse than covid-19 in fatal rate.

I’m sorry to hear of your month long flare up @Harters, and hope it doesn’t last much longer, or interfered with your time in the Canaries.
I’m seriously compromised myself, and my world on some days feels like the Titanic. But I’m going to get busy and get the deck chairs on said boat, rearranged this afternoon!! :laughing: Fingers crossed we all stay well, and don’t catch the big “scary”.

Think @kobuta called it regarding a pandemic of vampires! The virologists have indeed traced it to bats, just like the hemorrhagic Ebola Zaire, and some others. Wherever there are bats, vampires thrive as well. Still fairly rare for viruses to jump species, but when they do, they seem to be particularly nasty. The people in the know think the government is keeping the vampire outbreak news from us, thus the run on garlic…:joy_cat::rofl::joy_cat::scream_cat:

Argh… I hope people aren’t going crazy enough and start to kill bats whenever they see them.

Thank you. She is fine. The kid is a trooper. Yes, the dog was fully up to date on vaccines. My in-laws had just rescued the dog and we were doing some introductions. My in-laws feel absolutely horrible and returned the dog already. Crappy situation all the way around.

2 Likes

Started up 3 days after we got back.

By the by, Mrs H has done the supermarket run. Plenty of stocks - except toilet rolls, dried pasta and flour which were all pretty much cleared out.

1 Like

This depends on water supplies. There is still a lot of the US (including us) on wells so if power goes out so does water. In very rural areas there are often wind driven pumps and hand pumps but not in American suburbia. There are also fringe anti-science people who think that flouride and chlorine in public water is somehow bad for you. There are people who react emotionally and looking for ways to take control of the uncontrollable. All those people need or want to back up normal water supplies.

I can only speculate about the paper cups and plates. Maybe those are people who anticipate water problems? Maybe they always use paper and are stocking up? In now way am I justifying those choices - in fact they sadden me.

We’re pretty set I think. I’ll take another run through our freezer later today. Tomorrow’s 6am grocery shop will include essentials like mussels and endive. grin I usually get up early–around 4am–so being at the grocery when they open to avoid crowds is not a big deal. Depending on how it works out I may make a regular practice of it. Fewer people in the market can only be good.

2 Likes

Thanks. Understood.

Right? @naf, regarding the bats. They’re misunderstood creatures, who do important things for the planet. They are, sadly too, a carrier of rabies. Wacky story from our time in Nevada: there was a bar bet in a rural part of Nevada concerning a dead bat. A person was dared to bite the ear off the bat, and did so. Someone saw this, reported it, and bat tested positive for rabies. The person had to undergo the series of anti rabies shots, which are known to be extremely painful, and must happen every day for about 2 weeks, if memory serves. Not mentioning the gender of person who ate the bat ear, you’ll have to use your imagination on that one. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I think we should all do what we can as a community to help stop the spread. For those reasons I have chosen a level of protection for my HO community members and neighbors.

Corona

5 Likes

We were at a high end restaurant over the weekend and the couple at the table next to us preceded to wipe all of the utensils (that just came out of the dishwasher) with clorox wipes. Apparently they were regular customers and refused to shake hands (or bump elbows) with the manager or regular long time servers (who were sort of insulted). They treated the workers like they had leprosy. I’m surprised they didn’t eat with masks on. They should have just stayed home. This is really overkill. I could see if it was a dirty hole in the wall but it was a clean high end restaurant. Also, how many people have touched their food beforehand from the farm on up :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

We were at a regular place on Sunday evening. As we walked in, the owner said “Hi. Are we doing hugs?” We replied that it probably wasnt a good idea.

4 Likes

Agree with you @paryzer! H and I went to Seattle yesterday on an errand and decided to go out for a very nice lunch. I’m pretty compromised right now, but at the hostess desk, I simply asked if any of the servers, or restaurant staff were coughing or appeared sick. When they said no, since it’s a highly esteemed eatery, with others, in a little empire, owned and managed by a beloved local chef, I felt perfectly comfortable eating there. Staff were wiping things down constantly, and I did my due diligence of hand washing and sanitizing my hands before eating. I certainly didn’t wipe down any of the utensils or dinnerware. It was a lovely respite for me, made me feel somewhat normal, and as a bonus, a very beautiful day :sun_with_face: Life goes on, just a little more carefully for some of us…

Oh, the only capitulation I made was to have the roasted, smashed potatoes, as H and I agreed cooked food is probably safer for me at this time, and not only because of corona. Possible E-coli, salmonella and listeria contamination may have serious consequences for me, should an outbreak of that occur in the supply chain somewhere. Will post pics of lunch in the regional boards later, maybe in the Greek food thread.

2 Likes

We went out last night for a special occasion to one of my favorite high-end restaurants. Albeit a Monday night, but we were the only…ONLY customer all night.

The CDC says those eyebrows need to go.

4 Likes

3 Likes

13 Likes

Hahaha!

1 Like

How scary! Good thing you checked.

1 Like

Ouch, luckily that someone saw it! Silly people.