Coronavirus - what to stock up on?

My health insurance coverage specifies that ongoing prescriptions be refilled in 90-day increments, from the mail-order division of mega-pharm giant, CVS. Scrips are reauthorized annually. This, and refill requests, can be done online and arrive by mail in a few days.
This is fairly common practice in the U.S.

2 Likes

Anything to avoid running out and needing to leave self-isolation for a possibly infected public space for essentials. Makes sense to me. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Love my bidet! H refuses to even try it. Unless, he has cagily done it while I’m away…

May I gently suggest a product called Balneol when water is either at a premium, or if it’s hard for people to shower or self clean. It’s very gentle, but a good cleanser and a lotion like feeling afterwards. I wish I didn’t know about this product either. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

You’re very welcome. And i hope my advice proves unnecessary.

Interesting. Different doctors and different plans - my pharmacy calls my doctor’s office who look me up and almost always an RN or PA authorizes another round of refills. No opioids or other schedule medications - just the usual accumulation of stuff associated with a body that has been ridden hard and put away wet too many times.

Someone mentioned virtual urgent care. Our insurance provides that service. We haven’t used it yet. Our regular doctor reviews email every morning so as long as we can wait until the next morning we can get help that way. People are different and I can be VERY different sometimes. I find email to have developed a better relationship with my doctor than short office visits with her.

2 Likes

Quoted from a duplicate thread

H was kind enough to run into TJ’s for me, after a beautiful sunny day spent in Seattle today. Wanted to get a couple liquid hand soaps, some assorted nuts, 2 jars of lemon curd, and a few other things for the pantry and freezer. I waited in the car, since I’m compromised right now. Things seemed pretty normal in Seattle, with only one person spotted wearing a mask. Not the usual number of people out however. Pretty easy to find parking spaces too.

This is becoming a fast moving situation here in Europe. The whole of Italy is now in lockdown. And their infection numbers just two weeks back are what the UK’s is now. And our cases are already spread right across the country rather than initially restricted to a region as in Italy. Yesterday, the government’s cheif medical officer said that the UK is probably only a couple of weeks away from serious containment measures - he said anyone showing even minor symptoms, such as a cold, will be required to self isolate.

On a personal level, I’ve been trying to deal with a serious flare-up of my COPD for the last four weeks. I’m coughing pretty much constantly (although am able to sleep). I took my “emergency supply” of antibiotics without significant benefit. I’ve seen the doctor who prescribed a short course of steroids - also without effect. Seems like it’s just going to have to be waiting for it to go away. In the meantime, I’m almost at the self-isolation stage even though I know I havent got the virus. On the one hand, the COPD already compromises me and the flare -up makes me even more vulnerable to serious effects should I contract the virus. And, of course, I’m uncomfortable going out in public where others may note the cough and think I do have the virus. This is all not much fun.

5 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with that product. I rolled Tucks (little pads, like make-up removal pads, soaked in witch hazel) into the baby wipes category.

This thread certainly has moved well beyond “how much onion should I have” hasn’t it? grin

@Harters: John, I hope you feel better soon and your quality of life returns to normal.

4 Likes

Hope you get better soon.

Here, the culture minister is tested positive yesterday evening. He had a meeting with the president and prime minister and other ministers last Wednesday. Rumours said they refused to be tested to avoid public panic. I’m “more panic” to see the president over reacting these days in going everywhere and visiting hospitals, I think he should stay home instead to show an example.

5 Likes

We had to make a Costco run this weekend, and while it wasn’t a rush of people, the people who were there were certainly stock piling water and toilet tissue. I don’t quite understand that, but hey…
What really puzzled me was that several carts had stock piles of paper plates and cups. ?? One or two people and I assume they are just throwing a party, but they had multiple giant-sized Costco packs. So unless they are caterers, does coronavirus impact someone from being able to wash dishes???
They were also all out of garlic. If you’ve been in Costco, you know that they always have extra palettes and boxes of stuff available, but there was not a single bag of garlic left. Why are you stockpiling garlic?! Is there an incoming wave of vampires that I missed? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Theory: People have convinced themselves that they won’t be able to wash the virus off their dishes, so they’ve decided to eat and drink from disposable plates and cups.

I would very much like to be wrong.

3 Likes

The toilet paper I understand but not the water. Is there something of an expectation where you are that normal water supplies will be disrupted?

:rofl: you won’t care if you have the flu or not

1 Like

Catering ain’t really happening right now :frowning:

1 Like

I know there are people who never wash dishes in their home, coronavirus or not.

I also happened to know people who only drink bottled water, especially their kids.

Some rumours are circulating that spicy food keeps you away from covid-19. Some people concluded that India or Indonesia don’t have much outbreak due to what they eat: curry.

2 Likes

Picked up my regular shopping order yesterday. Oddly, the only thing that was sold out from my order was the batteries my thermapen takes!

We had a bit of an intense weekend with my toddler getting bit by a dog. We decided to get it checked at the pediatric urgent care and my husband went first to get us logged in. He said it was a crazy scene. Lots of kids with masks. Huge signs about the virus everywhere. Didn’t even take her inside. I spoke to her pediatrician over the phone and got prescriptions for antibiotics that way. People seem on edge here.

1 Like

Awww, hope your kid is alright and will get better soon. Was the dog vaccinated?

Actually i’ve heard that rabies is one of the most dangerous virus, worse than covid-19 in fatal rate.

I’m sorry to hear of your month long flare up @Harters, and hope it doesn’t last much longer, or interfered with your time in the Canaries.
I’m seriously compromised myself, and my world on some days feels like the Titanic. But I’m going to get busy and get the deck chairs on said boat, rearranged this afternoon!! :laughing: Fingers crossed we all stay well, and don’t catch the big “scary”.

Think @kobuta called it regarding a pandemic of vampires! The virologists have indeed traced it to bats, just like the hemorrhagic Ebola Zaire, and some others. Wherever there are bats, vampires thrive as well. Still fairly rare for viruses to jump species, but when they do, they seem to be particularly nasty. The people in the know think the government is keeping the vampire outbreak news from us, thus the run on garlic…:joy_cat::rofl::joy_cat::scream_cat: