Corned beef - oven or stovetop?

Yes. It’s best to desalinate the prepared corned beef as they are very salty which is not a problem when cooked in water but if you don’t desalinate before smoking it will be inedible. Brands vary. Some as high as 1000mg/per and as low as 500mg

After desalination the meat should be dried and coated with typical pastrami spices. Black pepper, coriander, garlic powder etc.

a thin smear of mustard will help to keep the rub on.

Then on to the smoker. I like to pull it a bit sooner and finish it over steam in the oven.
2 foil pans with a rack will make this an easy task. I have some metal cloths pins that hold the top cover pan on. Assuming you have a digital thermometer in place you can monitor the temp to your preferred temp. 200f is standard. Most sites don’t mention steam but I like to do it.

smoking-meat.com has a good tutorial

1 Like

Nice! I know I should, but I don’t usually desalinate. Maybe it’s the brands I tried (this year was Murphy or something like that; results on March 14th of this thread) ), but it seems fine. I have an electric smoker now, but here’s a pic of what I used a few years ago, and the results.
smoker

I do usually steam it after smoking too. Aww

5 Likes

I am sure that if you coom meat, you must do it well, so if you don’t have enough money to waste on a good piece of meat, you don’t have to make this kind of dish. There is not as hard as it seems to be.