Corned beef: baked vs. boiled?

I only cook corned beef around this time every year and don’t have a go-to recipe. I found this one today from Damn Delicious that sounds intriguing. You roast the corned beef, and then roast the vegetables separately. I think I’ll give it a try tonight.

How do you cook your corned beef? I’d love to hear how you make it. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve done two so far this season - a point and a flat, both from Aldi.

I prepared both the same way. I rinsed them thoroughly and seasoned them with black pepper and the Ajika seasoning blend from Trader Joes. The blend contains “crushed chili peppers, coriander, fenugreek, dried minced garlic, salt, marigold”.

I then browned them in my dutch oven, added water to about halfway up the brisket and put it in a 325’ oven for two and a half hours. They were both on the smaller side. A large one should go a bit longer.
After cooling, I wrapped it tightly in cling wrap and refrigerated over night.

Served on light rye with Colmans Mustard, sliced Swiss and a creamy slaw.

Yum. Both were very good, but I think I like the point a bit better.

4 Likes

Sounds wonderful!

Great topic! I can’t recall how I stumbled on this version but it results in melt in your mouth meat as well as a , set it and forget it technique for the majority of the cooking time that follows how I prefer cooking racks of ribs, a pork roast and standard brisket. In the oven or slow cooked outside, this is a delicious corned beef meal. Buys me time to prepare the rest of the meal, chill out and enjoy a cold draft.

We will be inNYC St Patty’s day for a club event soI’m getting to the corned beef Monday. Happy cooking!

1 Like

Served on light rye with Colmans Mustard, sliced Swiss and a creamy slaw.

Absolutely!

1 Like

I forgot that i have a pic.

10 Likes

Lucky you!

I’ve been braising it, then adding an apricot jam glaze the last 20-30 minutes in the oven

Ok, I’m going to try the Lakeside Table recipe. It’s how I cook my regular brisket, so I’m familiar with that. I love having my house smell like roasting meat, so I’m sold. I’m going to let it rest while I roast the vegetables at 425 for 30 minutes though. Will report back. Thanks, all.

2 Likes

Both! Maybe I posted about it on Chowhound, because I can’t find it here. I don’t know where I got the idea. Soaked the raw corned brisket i several changes of water over two days. Simmered with whole pickling spices from Penzey’s, I think 60-90 minutes. Pat dry. Slather with a goopy paste made of, if memory serves, brown mustard, brown sugar, pepper, minced onion, and perhaps soy sauce. Wrap loosely in foil. Transferred to one side of a foil-lined sheet pan. On the rest of the pan, arrange chunks of carrot and potato, and wedges of onion and cabbage, all of which have been drizzed with oil and sprinkled with S&P and garlic powder(or soy sauce). Roast at 375F for 45-60 minutes, keeping an eye on the veggies. Juices will run out from the meat and flavor the veg. I prefer to steam the cabbage separately, then butter the wedges. Gives me more potato space.

4 Likes

I’ve become a fan of using my slow cooker. Put corned beef with spices from the packet in the cooker, add some garlic and a couple bay leaves, then enough water and beef stock to just barely cover the beef (I use a cup of stock and water for the rest of the liquid). Cook on low for 8 hours for a small brisket, longer for a larger one.

4 Likes

I have used @greygarious method 2 or 3 times now and produced the best 2 or 3 corned beefs I’ve ever made. My slather is Dijon + seeded mustards + pomegranate molasses. Will never make corned beef any other way.

1 Like

Looks really delicious.

1 Like

The sandwich looks delicious