CORDOBA IN EARLY March '24

It’s Jaén and Baeza without question.

My family here in Spain, in general, do not leave tips at local bars or even at restaurants unless the bill has been high and the service exceptional. At a very high end place, a Michelin star, or 2 or 3 starred place, with a high percentage of foreign diners, you will find that a 5% tip may the norm for a Spaniard or 10% for the foreign clientele.

There was a recent article in the press about the decline in tipping in general, as so many people use contactless credit cards for payment. The disappearance of payment by cash, the move to a cashless society, has caused a big drop in tipping, claim these articles.

erica,
Enrique Becerra has been closed for 2 years now, but the former owner of Abacería de San Lorenzo, don Ramón López Tejada, has been chosen by the Becerra family to reopen it in the fall. He will call it “La Excusa Perfecta”.

Don Ramón had to abandon his Abacería de San Lorenzo because he could not comply with the renovations-improvements to the building that the city hall required. A new owner has taken over, but only uses the ground floor and kept the name and some of the iconic dishes. But…my spy says that these dishes just aren’t the same, although they use don Ramón’s recipes.

We got to greet him and chat with him recently at his new “all day bar”, Gran Café de España, not far from the beautiful Hotel Don Ramón.

Other really traditional places in Sevilla:
Bodeguita de Romero (for its legendary pringá sandwich)
The several Bodeguitas de A. Romero (for its equally legendary piripi sandwich)
Casa Morales, a true time warp in a very good way
Becerrita, a classic, much loved by locals
El Rinconcillo, the oldest tavern in Sevilla
Las Teresas for Iberian ham
Casa Morales, another time warp

1 Like

Maribel you are making it very easy for me!!! Good to keep discovering Andalucia; will begin thread on Jaen area soon. As you already know, we will be in Galicia and Lanzarote next month but thanks to you, I’ve got all my restaurants chosen for Galicia and a long list, which needs to be culled, for Lanzarote. (Already booked SEBE)

NOOR

As I mentioned, I had no trouble booking NOOR a month or so out, but if you have it on your list, you need to book as soon as possible, probably even before you book your hotel. I’m sure that the addition of the third Michelin star. (soon after I’d booked) has driven up an already thriving clientele. Note that they are open only four days a week, making bookings even more tricky. As of today they are booked out through first week in July; after that they are closed for vacation for a few weeks, according to their site.

NOOR is an extraordinary restaurant, unlike any I’ve ever visited. Mind you, I am not a frequent visitor to Michelin’s three stars I loved/adored the 3-star ULIASSI in Senegallia but, apart from most of the three-stars in New York, I’m not sure if I’ve been to any others and I don’t put much stock on those ratings; I prefer to consult recommendations from the Repsol guide in Spain) but I have eaten my way through quite a few great places in Spain and Italy and there is nothing that remotely compares to this restaurant. NOOR is more than a restaurant. Yes, the food is creative, interesting, and sabrosisimo, May sabrosisimo!

But far beyond that, this restaurant offers an edible excursion through the food of the historical epochs of El Andaluz. Each season, after intense consultation with historians, food scholars, designers, and archeologists, the kitchen shines a spotlight on a distinct era of the city that once reigned as among the most scientifically and culturally advanced in the world, while also coinciding with the persecution and expulsion of Spain’s large Jewish minority.

Rather than being tedious, as some might imagine, the explanations of the various dishes and their setting in place and time, offers a fascinating enhancement of a meal that would be incredible even without commentary.

Almost each and every product on the carta is elaborated upon, so while dining one learns of the far-flung origins of ingredients and when and how they made it to the shores of what we now know as Spain.

When I dined at NOOR in March, the spotlight shone on the final stage of Spain’s 17th Century Epoca de Oro (Golden Age). There is a choice of three tasting menus; I selected the MORISCO menu, comprised of about 14 courses of varying sizes.

While I am not going to delve into history, I will say that if you take the time to acquaint yourself a bit with the history of the city during this period, and learn even a small bit about which ingredients had reached Spanish shores by then (think of the immense food revolution brought with then Arab conquest, and the Spanish explorers who paved the way for the trade in spices New World products like chilis, tomatoes, and chocolate which were new to the kitchens of wealthy Europeans). (There are published accounts on this topic including Maria Jose Sevilla’s DELICIOSO and her just-published COCINA DE ANDALUCIA I have not read either but have the latter on order) and the late, great Penelope Casas’ book, also named DELICIOSO, the classic that should sit on the shelves of every food-focused visitor to Spain while there is obviously no necessary reading to book a table at NOOR, I think some general idea of the topic might enhance the experience.)

Enough of all that!

I decided to walk to NOOR, as a quick peek at the map, and the front desk person at the HOSPES, told me the trip would be about 20 minutes. The fact that it began to pour was not the problem I faced. The problem is that I got. hopelessly lost, despite asking several passersby to point me in the right direction. Google maps were USELESS!

About 15 minutes after my reservation time, I got a phone call from the staff asking if I was ok…I was fine, and making my way there. Positive thinking. After two more phone calls, and with the NOOR staff guiding me as I walked, I finally made it to the pierced metal facade on an unassuming side street in what looked like a mostly residential area. Since the rain had fogged up my glasses, I could barely read the sign, but at last I had arrived, almost an hour late.

“Bienvenida, no hay problema!”

The warmth of the welcome was echoed in the service during my dinner.
Professional to the max but warm and friendly, and more than willing to discuss every ingredient of every dish, the staff at NOOR were lo maximo!

Photo of the facade, on the side street, and of the spectacular dining room; before being seated, diners are asked to wash their hands at a beautiful sink in the anteroom, with a server assisting in pouring the rose water, in Arab style.
Entering the dining room, which holds about eight tables, unclothed, I was seated at one close enough to easily observe the action in the vast, open kitchen.

Following three photos:

One of the many place settings; on embossed silvered leather placemat
Open kitchen, as viewed from my table
Snappy black bathroom (note black toilet paper!)

1 Like

I meant Alvaro Perejil in Sevilla, another time warp, also for pringá

*Waiter explains some of the spices available in Spain during the Golden era of the Reconquista—cinnamon, carob, star anise, dried Persian limes (I think–on top shelf), cardamom, dried chilis (Nora??), saffron…think of where the galleons traveled to bring. home these costly treasures–it’s fascinating.

What other restaurant, anywhere, delves so deeply into the history of the food turned out by the kitchen??? NOOR forces you to THINK like no other restaurant I’ve been to…but the sharing of information was never in the least bit dry, or pedantic.*

The first dishes, with the highlight at the right: A cheese bunuelo with saffron, topped by a slice of tuna. My scribbled notes say that the lemon on top was “wow,” but try as I might, I cannot recall any details about it. It was difficult to take notes without compromising the experience.

A menu highlight: “Cuajada de Khan,” milk curd with probably the best egg yolk I’ve ever had, topped with a generous dollop of caviar and caper berries.
I did not inquire but I imagine that the caviar is the vaunted organic RioFrio, from Granada province. (I bought a tin of RioFrio in Madrid to eat in my hotel room; I’ve not had Iranian caviar in decades but cannot imagine it is any better than this.)

1 Like

Yet another highlight (there were no “low lights” for me at NOOR), just excellent dishes and truly unforgettable ones.

A cold spinach soup dotted with embossed cutouts of queso de oveja was a delicious base for the miraculous “guisantes de lagrima,” tear peas. If you ever thought peas were not an interesting vegetable, think again. I was told that NOOR sources theirs from Galicia and they were snappy, sweet, gorgeous to look at; perhaps one can imagine why they command prices in the hundreds of euros during their very short early spring season. Crowning the dish was a juicy, briny macerated oyster sliced in two. Spectacular.

The trio of breads: Olive oil, (lower right) hojaldre (top right) and a slice with rye seeds.

1 Like

Wow, good stuff. Kicking myself for not paying more attention to Cordoba but other than one meal, we did ok. Looks like you reported this while we were there.

Not off topic as it’s a direct response to this question (but note I haven’t been to Noor -the one in Spain). But a bit closer for the US based visitors.

Tanière³ in Quebec City bases its dishes on the history of Quebec City and specifically the building they are in. Plus all of the ingredients are ‘local’ (doen’t even serve coffee or tea, bur rather infusions of local plants/berries). Fortunately they relax that rule for the wines!
This has been my favourite restaurant in Canada for the past 4 years (and I have a reservation for June this year). Thanks to my influence (?!) it has been almost totally ignored by the various purported ‘best in Canada’ dining guides (as has the entire Quebec City dining scene - IMO the most exciting in Canada).
But within the last year it has received a Relais & Chateaux recognition - so just maybe people will now take notice.

1 Like

I will post a few more photos of NOOR. By now you get the idea of what the place is like so will not go into many more details except to say again that if you can get a table and are ok with the price (fairly moderate considering their three-Michelin stars), you should go.

Also know that the family of Chef Paco Morales has a simple place known for local dishes for take out, named EL ASADOR DE NATY. Chef Morales worked here when starting out. I’ve read good things but did not have the time to visit.

Gambas (raw) sheathed with Joslito and topped with caviar; atop slivers of endive. My notes contain a single word: “Orgasmic!”

Yet another highlight: Fregola in a hen stock with smoked butter and ribbons of calamari, shavings of black truffle. Fregola, you might ask? Think of the origins of that dish which we think of as quintessentially Sardinian. Now think about couscous and its origin. To go further, think of the early connection between Alghero and Spain. Chicken (and hen) were considered the height of luxury during the era of the Morisco menu.

This is cured lubina (sea bass) with bottarga in a mayonnaise blended with parsley. Impeccable!

Galician beef, pounded think, to be rolled with the sheep cheese and dipped into a supple turmeric sauce; on the side is “Saracen grain,” the same grain as the Saraceno I’ve spotted on menus in Italy’s Lombardia and Puglia, made from buckwheat. Five star plate.

The impeccable kitchen technique at NOOR shines in this cube of steamed hake with a sauce of a squash similar to pumpkin flavored with vanilla; look at how the flakes of fish separate and glisten with moisture. Among the single best fish dishes I’ve had in Spain.

Poster illustrating the preparation of the next dish, rosy red squab. Impeccable and delicious, yet again:

I will post a few more photos of NOOR. By now you get the idea of what the place is like so will not go into many more details except to say again that if you can get a table and are ok with the price (fairly moderate considering their three-Michelin stars), you should go.

Also know that the family of Chef Paco Morales has a simple place known for local dishes for take out, named EL ASADOR DE NATY. Chef Morales worked here when starting out. I’ve read good things but did not have the time to visit.

Gambas (raw) sheathed with Joslito and topped with caviar; atop slivers of endive. My notes contain a single word: “Orgasmic!”

Yet another highlight: Fregola in a hen stock with smoked butter and ribbons of calamari, shavings of black truffle. Fregola, you might ask? Think of the origins of that dish which we think of as quintessentially Sardinian. Now think about couscous and its origin. To go further, think of the early connection between Alghero and Spain. Chicken (and hen) were considered the height of luxury during the era of the Morisco menu.

This is cured lubina (sea bass) with bottarga in a mayonnaise blended with parsley. Impeccable!

Galician beef, pounded think, to be rolled with the sheep cheese and dipped into a supple turmeric sauce; on the side is “Saracen grain,” the same grain as the Saraceno I’ve spotted on menus in Italy’s Lombardia and Puglia, made from buckwheat. Five star plate.

The impeccable kitchen technique at NOOR shines in this cube of steamed hake with a sauce of a squash similar to pumpkin flavored with vanilla; look at how the flakes of fish separate and glisten with moisture. Among the single best fish dishes I’ve had in Spain. (This photo shows the plate after I had taken bites, that’s why it looks messy)

Poster illustrating the preparation of the next dish, rosy red squab. Impeccable and delicious, yet again:

Alan, That is fascinating! And a lot closer than Spain for both of us, obviously. I’ve never heard anything about Tiniere but am going to read whatever I can find online…

1 Like

Finally, there were two main desserts at NOOR:

An orange sorbet with orange gelee, orange blossoms, almonds and mint.

Three layers of (not overly sweet) pastry: walnut, carob and fig, pressed into an Islamic star shape. (photo)

A small array of desserts followed, including cubes of rose-infused lokum; I had them packed to cart back to the Hospes.

NOOR. exceptional

https://noorrestaurant.es/en/

1 Like

Simply, wow!

@erica1
News flash----El Bar de Paco Morales has closed, to “rethink the project” and to move to another yet undisclosed location that will open sometime in 2025.

Interesting, Maribel.
On the night I was there many tables were open.

I’ve been reading about the new incarnation of IBAI; I am feeling a magnetic pull!

Ibai reopened on April 29. The new chef is Nicola Baron.

When available there will be peas from Getaria, and the kokotxas will remain on the menu, plus the lobster salad and all the finest fish specimens from the La Bretxa and San Martin markets that made 40-year old Ibai famous.

Michelin-starred chef Paulo Airaudo, a twice-a-month diner at the former Ibai, decided to reopen this mythic space, with the blessing of its former owner, Alicio Garro. Airaudo spent a half million euros to modernize the kitchen, although the configuration of the dining space remains the same and with only six highly coveted tables.

The Argentinian sommelier, Martin Flea, was the former sommelier at Rekondo. He’s created a wine list of over 300 labels.

And just as before, the newly resurrected Ibai only opens for lunch, Monday through Friday from 1-3:00 pm.
However, the bar (not attended to before) will now be manned and will offer hot and cold pintxos, served from 10 am until 4 pm.