Cooking Pasta at Home

Hmmm…Sopa Seca Fideos and Greek Mac and Cheese.
The latter baked or on the stovetop?

We were trying to remember the name and could only remember Pasta con Sardo with bread crumbs, sultanas and sardines.

Easy to try a few of these here and maybe he will like one of them.
I am going to try a few on my GF who does not like vegetables or ground beef. She does love egg noodles so I will use those where I can.

Cacio Pepe sounds good but have not tried an authentic version of the dish.
Worked at a place in Denver serving a great ricotta and mozzarella ravioli al limone that was delicious. Now I want one!

Yum…butter.
Pesto is such an easy freeze. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I make a white sauce with feta added on the stovetop, add the boiled macaroni, greens and herbs, pour it into an ovenproof dish , then bake it in the oven for half an hour.

1 Like

Sounds like something to which I would add too much garlic, oregano and chile flakes.

1 Like

@KAOSKitchen
Something like this :slight_smile:

Or from Psilakis more directly

https://www.michaelpsilakis.com/kefi-mac-cheese/

Just “pasta with sardines” in my Sicilian books. Has pine kernels, raisins, bread crumbs and wild fennel fronds. Sicilians eat a lot of wild fennel, there’s even a specific fennel pasta dish. The rest of us use normal fennel and fronds.

One can use salted anchovies in place of sardines. It’s a pasta dish own its own, just like one with sardines. Salted anchovies are often used in the red sauce. They really elevate the sauce.

Some of the things I brought back from Sicily:

3 Likes

self deleted

Portuguese pasta with sardines looks good, too.

That depends on what the meaning of “is” is. grin

It takes me about four hours to make three gallons of homemade pasta sauce (tomato, beef, pork, veg) and can it. That gives us 24 pints for “cook pasta, heat a pint of sauce.” Does that count as two ingredients? grin

Slow cooker tortellini soup has a double handful of ingredients but prep is fast and in the morning for dinner. Does that count?

Linguini and clam sauce.

Mac & cheese from scratch isn’t bad. Prep is easy. Only three things to cut up, cheese to grate, and prep is very Zen.

I make a Beef-a-roni thing based on something my mother made that is also Zen. Array of ingredients but fast.

Tibetan momos are simple if you buy the wrappers.

Grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms, and couscous.

Macaroni or other pasta salad.

Chili mac - again, chili in bulk and canned so just open a jar.

Stuffed shells have few ingredients but is mind-numbing if you don’t use a pastry bag.

Then there is refrigerator scraping - cook pasta and dump any leftovers from the fridge that make sense in the heat of the moment on top.

2 Likes

My quickest pasta falls into this category. Boiled shells, frozen peas added the last 2 minutes the pasta is cooking, drained, combined with some drained tuna that’s flaked (or leftover rotisserie chicken), some mayo or olive oil, some lemon juice from a bottle, stirred, some black pepper, crushed chilies and/or grated parm or Romano on top. Sometimes I eat it out of the saucepan.

7 Likes

Our usual pasta dinner is spaghetti or egg noodles, with canned red sauce for me, and a can of minced clams plus butter, salt, and maybe garlic salt, for my wife. Occasionally I’ll make a mushroom cream sauce or pesto cream sauce instead.

Sounds like I need to try the cold water pasta method referred to above. If it works, that about cuts the time-to-pasta in half, since it usually takes me 10-15 minutes to boil a large pot of water.

3 Likes

Making this tonight

1 Like

I grew up in a low-carb family before there was such a thing as low carb. We had meat and veg, the occasional potato or rice but pasta was never on the table. Of course, that means that today I kill for pasta! We have cut back on meat a lot, so pasta is a several times a week plate.

One that I learned from another food forum is a creamy sauce of blitzed veg with broth and cream, then cheese. i.e., peas or asparagus just cooked through, then immersion blender with enough broth and cream to make a luxurious coating. Swap out the veg for what you have on hand.

Fresh tomato sauce, i.e., melt chopped tomato with butter. Amazing.

Carbonara and cacio e pepe, of course.

A fast saute of tomato, shallot, garlic, basil/parsley/sorrel, white wine. Throw in shellfish of your choice: clams, mussels, prawns. More olive oil… Oh boy!

Good old tuna-noodle casserole…I have never met a pasta I didn’t like!

6 Likes

I love that vegetable sauce idea. So simple yet I never would have thought of it. I always have a serving of veggies left over. What a great way to use them up. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve become a fan of sardines. It’s a frequent lunch. Usually just straight up with a squirt of sriracha. The pasta connection never entered my mind. Will give it a go

1 Like