Cooking for people with very simple tastes...

I have a handful of friends who like very simple food. Pepper is considered spicy, more than a pinch of herbs is too exotic. For them your advice to use a very gentle hand is spot on.

2 Likes

On an early episode of A Chef’s Life, Vivian Howard has her mother show her how to make chicken and rice, because her.mother’s version was better than her own. I recall being surprised that no seasoning of any kind was used. Chicken, rice, water.

4 Likes

I might ask them their top 3 favorite dishes, and just do your version of one of those, keeping their preferences in mind. I have some friends who are great eaters, and others who are limited in their palette and preference. Quite honestly, it is much less enjoyable to cook for the latter, so I tend to build social opportunities around activities other than eating.

1 Like

I like Viv’s Friends and relatives recipes and accompanying insight and folk wisdom more than Viv’s.

1 Like

Appreciate all the suggestions, I ended up making simple chicken cutlets with an almond flour crust so they were keto friendly, with a mushroom sauce & stir fried asparagus. They really seemed to enjoy the meal, ate heartily and we had a great visit!

8 Likes

Good deal! Glad your efforts were well received.

The almond flour adds a nice light crunch. I used it recently making onion rings.

Glad to hear it all worked.

Going back to our struggles trying to feed father in law, asparagus would be a no-no. As would the mushroom sauce. We might get away with the almond flour by not revealing what bit was.