Cooking during a power outage!

Exactly. The freezer is purgatory. Toss it all .

3 Likes

Alright you and @LindaWhit ; if you have freezers I want to see pictures! Only “a place for the suffering of sinners”? (I’m Catholic, but I had to fact check purgatory. )
No prepping?

1 Like

I need to learn freezer management .

2 Likes

deleted,

1 Like

To all those in the area’s affected, please be careful you are in our thoughts and prayers. God bless good luck.

6 Likes

Small chest freezer and small apartment fridge/freezer in the garage. Plus the full-sized freezer in the fridge upstairs (not pictured).

2 Likes

Much obliged! I am often tempted to get a freezer in addition to the one on the bottom of my fridge, but I know I won’t manage it. Yours looks organized.

1 Like

GENERATOR WARNING: We suffered a natural power outage in the country that caused all contents in our fridge/freezer to spoil to the point of tossing the unit and replacing it. No amount of cleaning got rid of the stench. So…we bought a new refrigerator and considered also a generator.

The manufacturer (Fisher Paykel) stated categorically that we could not use a generator with the new refrigerator because of its electronics and the variability of the/any generator. So do look into your refrigerator’s requirements and prohibitions.

4 Likes

Very interesting! All my big appliances are Fisher Paykel, so it’s a good thing to know @pilgrim.

I use a quarter. grin If you still have old fashioned ice trays just drop a coin on top of one of the cubes.

1 Like

For the limited duration of your power outage I’d keep anything that will get above 140F before eating.

1 Like

What a waste. Power was only out 21 hours. Jeepers.

1 Like

You need a better generator. Or a smarter freezer manufacturer.

Voltage swings on utility power can be +/- 10% and a decent generator will be better than that. Frequency (60 Hz) is very accurate and a portable generator can’t track as well. BUT it doesn’t really matter - the first thing the electronics do is make DC out of the power (12VDC, 8VDC, 5VDC, 3VDC mostly) so frequency isn’t relevant.

A cheap inverter-generator may not be true sine wave power which can lead to electrical interference that can confuse things. It shouldn’t hurt anything, even if it doesn’t work well.

Electrical power supply is really pretty simple. If your fridge/freezer can’t run of a generator (as hospitals do during outages with all their complex electronics) it won’t deal well with normal utility power fluctuations.

Not so much. I just put certain things in certain areas so I always know where I might find it. I also have an Excel spreadsheet on the side of my upstairs fridge that I try and keep updated. So if I’ve made 10 hamburgers out of several pounds of ground beef and take 3 out to go with ground sausage for a meatloaf, I cross off the 10 and write 7.

1 Like

You are technically correct but the solutions are not as simple as you suggest, Comparing general consumer generators to hospital back up power is disingenuous. DH spent some time trying to get information from Generac (priced around $5000) and could get nothing but obfuscation and repetition of sales pitches, no affirmation that their product would be compatible.

Here, FWIW, is the caveat provided by Fisher Paykel

altpower.pdf (332.6 KB)

2 Likes

Fisher Paykel, in your attachment, is saying they are darn flexible. +/- 10% for voltage is the standard for the national grid in most countries. +/- 5% for frequency is really flexible. You just aren’t going to see that kind of variation off the grid or indeed off most generators.

From that data you could run off a 2kW Honda inverter-generator. You couldn’t run anything else, but you could run.

Whether your Generac is propane or diesel you’ll be well within the capability of the generator. For $5,000US and assuming that included installation costs you have at least a 10kW generator. You’ll have no problem. I’m really surprised you couldn’t get specs from Generac. I looked at this one http://www.generac.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/generators/home-generators/guardian-series/9kw-7029/generac-10-16kw-spec-sheet_1.pdf and specified variation is not shown. That’s a real disappointment. I believe that for UL rating that needs to exist somewhere. Maybe you can get it from UL?

If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll give you a simple test protocol that will not risk your appliances but will still give you a stress-test number you can count on.

Run behind your local hospital and you’ll see a lot of Generac gear. Bigger but not substantially different. Most places with life safety concerns will have multiple identical generators with frequency synchronization rather than one big generator so they can keep going when there is a failure.

2 Likes

Taking note of your know-how about generators for reference. This is not in my wheelhouse, that’s for sure. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It really isn’t hard. The problem is making it economic.

So the professional solution is to use recording voltage measurement (voltmeter with data capture) and a frequency meter that does data capture also. That’s going to be expensive. Not as expensive as it used to be before you could plug sensors into laptops.

The easy “instrument” is a digital clock that uses the power frequency as a time standard. You can calibrate that over several days and then run the generator in a series of load varying states and use that data to measure the frequency variation. If you have an old car engine timing light you can get a second data set for confirmation. Really easy.

As to the stock, I grew up in an Asian household and my Mom typically would make at least 1 or 2 batches of stock / broth per week as our “soup” course. She would make it in a large (5 gallon) tall stainless steel pot filled to the brim the 1st day, and after dinner we would bring that back up to a boil w/ lid on then turn the heat off and not open again until dinner the next night. Basically because we didn’t have the space to store such a pot in the fridge, it was our way of pasteurization and storing w/ out moving the pot anywhere. Usually these broths would last at least 3 or 4 dinners. None of us ever got sick from that.

2 Likes

I thought I’d read that. Is that called something to do with “mother” ?