Converting to use Pyrex/Bundt cake pans instead of round/loaf pan

Hello there:

I have nonstick round/loaf pans that I now avoid using (and will likely throw away). The only other pans are a pyrex glass loaf pan and an enamel Bundt cake pan. How do I convert cake recipes written for metal round/loaf pans to be used in glass loaf pan and metal fluted cake pan? The web does not provide good answers and therefore I would like to obtain advice from experts here. Thanks a ton!

You have hit on my achilles heel! That question is always difficult to answer. I don’t know where I picked up this list, but it’s somewhere in the internet. I find it useful when I’m trying to go from what the recipe calls for to what I actually have available for use in my own kitchen.

Volume comparisons

Square
8 x 8 x 1 1/2 inches 6 cups
8 x 8 x 2 inches 8 cups
9 x 9 x 1 1/2 inches 8 cups
9 x 9 x 2 inches 10 cups
10 x 10 x 2 inches 12 cups

Round pans
8 x 1 1/2 inches 4 cups
8 x 2 inches 6 cups
9 x 1 1/2 inches 6 cups
9 x 2 inches 8 cups
10 x 2 inches 11 cups

Rectangular
11 x 7 x 2 inches 6 cups
13 x 9 x 2 inches 14 cups

Bundt
7 1/2 x 3 inches 6 cups
9 x 3 inches 9 cups
10 x 4 inches 16 cups

Springform
9 x 2 1/2 inches 10 cups
9 x 3 inches 12 cups
10 x 2 1/2 12 cups

Tube
8 x 3 inches 9 cups
9 x 3 inches 12 cups
10 x 4 inches 16 cups

Jelly Roll
10 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 1 inches 10 cups
12 1/2 x 17 1/2 x 1 inches 12 cups

Loaf
8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inches 4 cups
8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches 6 cups
9 x 5 x 3 inches 8 cups

Muffin
1 3/4 x 3/4 inches 1/8 cup
2 3/4 x 1 1/8 inches 1/4 cup
2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches 1/2 cup
3 x 1 3/4 inches 5/8 cup

Heart
8 x 2 1/2 inches 8 cups

The bottome line is, just start experimenting. You are making food, even if it’s not perfect it’ll probably still taste pretty darn good! Keep notes about what worked and didnt, and then modify the next time.

8 Likes

Excellent and helpful chart @heidicooksandbakes!

The Bundt pan and the Pyrex pan are both good examples of another part of converting: finding the best times and temperatures after switching. Anything that changes your cake’s shape (for example, a wide shallow cake becoming a narrower deeper one) can force you to adjust something, and the different pan materials react differently to heat as well.

Heat penetrates a shallow cake faster, because there’s a short route for it to travel through the cake. The closer your cake gets to a globe shape or a cube shape, the longer it will take to get heat into the middle. If Bundt pans and tube pans didn’t have the tube in them, those cakes would take forever to get done, so the tube is there to give the heat a shortcut - but even so, the timing may be different. Some recipes are kind of “bulletproof”, others are more picky - brownies in a loaf pan might take a lot of experimenting. :smile: (I don’t know if it would even be possible to get the desired brownie result that way.)

Pyrex has a recommended temperature adjustment to make to every recipe, but I forget what it is. (It would only be really accurate if you were comparing pans of about the same size and shape, but it helps to know anyway.)

As long as you don’t feel under pressure to get a perfect result the first time, and are ready to experiment a bit, it will work out. (If there are any occasions coming up where there will be “nasty cake critics”, do a practice cake beforehand. But all reasonable people like cake, and will therefore love it anyway. :smile: )

2 Likes

@DavidPF, the temp adjustment for Pyrex is 25 degrees less than for metal pans, since the glass either bakes hotter or holds the heat more.

3 Likes

Does this mean that the baking time is the same? Thanks.

Yes, generally, but with one big BUT, which is, it depends on your oven! As others have suggested, buy an oven thermometer for about $5, so you’ll know how accurately your oven is cooking. To ensure that I don’t overbake/cook things, I usually start testing about 10 minutes before something is supposed to be done. Especially if using a new recipe @droolingdoggie.

If you’re switching between same size pans (or at least pretty close), then the timing is expected to be the same. But imagine if you used a 9 x 13 recipe but put it in an extra deep 8 x 8 - there would be quite a difference.