CODA movie + Cape Ann Fresh Catch [MA]

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the movie CODA when it debuted earlier this year. We’d heard that the filmmakers worked with the local fishing community. Here is an excerpt from the Cape Ann Fresh Catch newsletter in case, like me, you are interested in some behind-the-scenes detail.

From the CAFC newsletter: —>

“As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family’s fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her love of music by wanting to go to Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents.

It’s a great film on many levels and really hits home for us at Cape Ann Fresh Catch both personally and professionally. Growing up with a deaf brother it’s amazing to see an all deaf cast receiving such accolades and I’m sure you’ll recognize the name of their company as well as notice a familiar fishing vessel, the Angela Rose :wink: It’s great mainstream film highlighting the fishing industry and we love anything that can get the attention of the world on this kind of level.“

7 Likes

That’s really nice. I loved the movie and of course the Deaf actors were great, but I also appreciated the fact that they used local fisherfolk with real accents! I live in Maine (and grew up in Massachusetts) and bad New England accents in movies drive me nuts.

7 Likes

Same on the accents. For us there’s also the amusement factor in shows and movies when the regional accent is very, very wrong. That means amusement for us most of the time, LOL.

3 Likes

Have you seen the Samuel Adams ads Your cousin from Boston? Yeah sure, if my cousin came to Boston via LA. They couldn’t find anyone with a real accent?!

The spots are funny, though.

2 Likes

Same for me, but about both bad New England accents (especially Boston) and bad southern accents (I grew up in North Carolina, where the southern accent is quite different than the southern accent in Mississippi). They are so appallingly bad, laughable!.

2 Likes

By the way, welcome to HO @sciencediet. Looking forward to your presence here on the Boston/New England board. There are several Greater Boston Onions who love Maine (present company included).

4 Likes

Thanks for adding this info! I have this on my watch list to see before the Oscar broadcast .My Mom’s family fished out of Gloucester. St. Peter’s Fiesta especially the greasy pole contest and visiting relatives are memories I cherish.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s great. I’ll be interested to see what you think of it. There’s a subplot about a fish co-op that was every bit as interesting to me as the singing and the signing.

1 Like

Can’t wait until that happens again…hopefully this year

1 Like

I haven’t seen CODA yet, but when I streamed The Tender Bar yesterday, the accents were totally misplaced. I can’t imagine why such a glaring error was made. The film was made largely in Massachusetts, in areas I recognize. One scene shows a car driving on a highway labeled Rt. 31. The non-native actors worked hard on their lower-class Boston accents. So I was gobsmacked when I realized that it was meant to be taking place on Long Island. I grew up a few miles from Manhasset, where a school gym was supposedly set. Characters drove into Manhattan. In recent decades, the Brooklyn/Queens accents have migrated east into Nassau County, but in the time frame of the movie, that wouldn’t have yet happened. The house where most scenes took place is in the Belvedere section of Lowell, which has no resemblance to western Nassau County. Neither did the flat, forested highway on which characters drove away from the house. There was nothing about the plot that couldn’t fittingly have been set in the outer suburbs of Boston.

1 Like