Cocktail Cherries

I only use them in Old Fashioneds, but TJs has them only around the holidays, so I buy a jar or two when I see them, just in case. Their pretty jar might mean Fabbri is supplying, but maybe not.

Here’s someone’s review of a few options, a bit old but the contenders are still available:

2 Likes

I’m still working my way through the two-pack of Luxardo cherries my local Costco had for a brief moment.

1 Like

I was inspired by all of this cocktail cherry talk to bust open a jar of the cherries I cured in the sun in the summer of 2022 - see this thread for details: Sour cherry season - #59 by biondanonima

They are still chewy after over a year in their canning syrup - would definitely shorten the cure time if I do this again. Despite the less-than-perfect texture, however, they were still delicious over vanilla ice cream last night.

3 Likes

Sounds delish. What’s wrong with a little chew? Is there some rule? I remember hating the texture of the maraschinos in Roy Rogers, but I wouldn’t call them chewy.

No rule, I was just trying to replicate the texture of Fabbri, which are dense but not dry, and I overshot my goal by a bit. Nothing wrong with chew, either, although it wasn’t quite the texture I wanted on ice cream (especially since the cold makes them chewier still).

2 Likes

Raisins in rum for ice cream!

You ordered the same cherries, the description and photo showed a jar and they shipped in a box?

No, the cherries were in a glass jar which was then haphazardly tossed into a cardboard box without adequate wrapping/packing materials. The glass jar broke in inside the Amazon box.

Sorry, I misread your post.

No prob!:cherries:

1 Like

Thanks, we used to use them for manhattans and then I noticed we were going through them faster and faster. Turns out while I was trying to save 25 cents on a cup of Sigis yogurt for my wife’s daily breakfast, she was loading the yogurt up with luxardo cherries :joy:

There’s something comforting about maintaining our save and spend relationship, even in retirement….

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Luxardo are my favorite - I like the density, the initial hit of sweet followed by tart and complexity. Haven’t found a comparable sub, but they are too pricey.

I usually order these for their good QPR: Peninsula Premium Cocktail Cherries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSY6NN5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have made my own with bourbon and sour cherries and found the texture and flavor leeched out. Bummer.

I’m not as hot on the Italian amarena cherries in syrup that TJ and Aldi carry around the holidays. Extremely sweet and the syrup tends to crystalize (also true of the Peninsula cherry syrup).

1 Like

I love the story of my buying commercial maraschino cherries to decorate ice cream for the grand-sprogs. I served to a well-brought up 4 year old, who removed it from her mouth and announced, “It tastes like chemicals” “Well, yes, it does!”

For our own, we enjoy these, or something on the order of @ChristinaM 's homebrew.

1 Like

I admit to shamelessly liking the chemical version, especially on top of a sundae.

2 Likes

The best part of a Shirley Temple. Makes it fancy.

2 Likes

This popped up while reading on another site about an unrelated topic.

It taught me a lot…much of it surprising to me!

1 Like

Touring their facilities:

Seriously, I was just about to make myself one. I’ve got good grenadine, good real sugar ginger ale, but … only luxardo cherries. Nope! Need a bright red one with a stem!! Grocery shopping tomorrow!

3 Likes

Good for you. It’s a garnish, and I’m not paying the premium for Luxardo. Considering the possible spirit upgrade for the same cost, it’s not even close for me.

Similar issue, I think Antinori wines are kinda the same thing. Why?

1 Like