Clown Bar (Paris, 11e)

Perhaps you could amend the thread title to include the location

I want that! Great to know they make pithiviers.

Done. Combined with another thread OP started a few days ago on the same restaurant.

The address is noted on the bill. But special thanks to naf for adding the coordinates

So that’s what the duck/foie dish I mentioned above is called. :clown_face:

:laughing: My French begins and ends with food terms. Actually, they gave us the English menu and we both stared at it before asking for French. It’s boggling how we come to recognize things by their local name. Like, would you prefer a multi-layer bread roll or a croissant?

Yes - but it helps to have it in the thread title (as this other thread now has). Otherwise, the restaurant could be anywhere across more than two continents - which meant I had to open the thread to find out where it was, to see if I was interested in it.

I think moderators should add the city. Many posters aren’t doing that anymore.

More on this here.

Sorry. Totally agree. I had no idea that on mobile devices the board wasn’t noted.

Now I have eaten in Maison, I can see the similarities Sota created at the Clown Bar. They still kept his signature dish and his style of cooking.

The day I have the courage, I will go and eat the veal brain there.

2 Likes

Or, you can have lunch at Amarante https://www.amarante.paris & get a great version of morcilla alongside equally great beef brains. And some very buttery tripe. C’mon, do it for us.

2 Likes

I’ll think about it, thanks for the tips!

And be served by the coolest waiter in Paris.

Coolest waiter and brain, this combination is lovely. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dining at Clown Bar tonight. Chef has changed from Sota Atsumi (Maison) to Luis Andrade (ex-Au Passage) since 2019.

Entrée - Veal brain in a dashi broth and chive. 14€

Clown Bar’s signature dish created by Sota. First time eating brain, creamy and tender meat in a lightly citrus perfumed dashi broth.

Entrée - Blue lobster (Brittiny) and cured Colonnata pork fatback. 24€

Good but tiny dish, wish there was more. Lobster was thinly sliced, arranged in a rosette and covered with pork and topped with a fine layer of crispy buckwheat.

Main - Sweetbread on a bed of baby chervil roots with acidic date condiment 36€

Main - Crispy pork belly with mashed squash and thinly sliced fennel topped with crispy quinoas 30€

Dessert - Chou Paris-Brest 10€

Taste is classic but instead of a sandwiche-like choux, everything including the nuts were filled inside the choux shell, served with honey ice cream.

Dessert - Mont-Blanc 10€

Very thin layer of chestnut cream on a bed of clementines, sandwiched by meringue. Personally feel a bit too much fruit and not enough chestnut cream, which should be the star.

Both glasses of rouge, Neck 2017 (grenache) and Bourgueil Le Carbernet Franc 2020 Domaine Breton went well with the food.

We dined at 19h so H could rush home to see his rugby match. Service was swift, dinner lasted 2 hours. Most of the diners were English speaking. We were well fed. Personally I found the dishes smallish. Meal was 140€ for 2.

2 Likes

You had a wonderful time; wish we’d been there! Thanks so much for this!

Thanks! I was hoping to have the duck pithiviers, another of the signature dish.

Actually at chez Sota, I had the cabbage pithiviers, fantastic.

Do you think your Clown Bar’s meal was cooked by Sota?

No, he had left a week before our visit. But I think it’s a mistake to get hung up on individual often short time celeb chefs. The house has an interest in maintaining an outstanding kitchen.

I was gonna say that. Both of our visits May 2019 were post-Sota Atsumi, but I’m not sure who, if any, chef was leading the kitchen when we ate there. I think Luis Andrade was still in the kitchen at Au Passage when we ate there end of May (& really liked it) & hadn’t yet made the move (again, unsure). The current menu at Clown Bar looks great and its on our list for a return visit (or two) this coming Fall (as is Au Passage & Amarante). We’ve rented an apartment in the 11th, so we’ll be able to waddle home from each of them. And Korus.

Just dined here last Sunday night. Pretty swell place. Has the soca “fries” which were good but the accompanying sauce needed more harissa, which was barely present except in color. Had the Magret in a black garlic sauce , which was the best magret I’ve ever had. Great wine list and spirits as well. I was told that they used to owned by a restaurant group and when they went out they got their cellar and spirits. Most impressive. I had a cidre from Normandy (that I’d hadn’t seen before) and was lovely.

3 Likes