Closed restaurants you miss most [TX]

We were concerned about you! Now we’re concerned about jcostiones.

2 Likes

Fresco, Cafe Italiano has closed - first of this month (May). Chef and son went back to Italy. My favorite place for fresh made pasta. It was in a strip center on the inbound SW Fwy frontaqge road across from Greenway Plaza.

I’ll remember the Roman style pizza with the special pepperoni and the Braised Texas Lamb dish with tagliatelle. I think he won some sort of local cook-off with that dish.

He was on DD&D at some point apparently.

1 Like

I’ve got to try this! The Puerto Rican food I’ve had has been very good, better than Cuban.

1 Like

Well, this isn’t a restaurant — but —

Gordon Food Service is the name of the new tenant in the old Belden’s on North Braeswood. It’s a food service company out of Michigan that got into the market several years ago when it took over Glazier’s. They cater to restaurants and grocery stores but the general public can shop without a membership. Like a Sam’s club but only groceries and no membership required???

This link is about an earlier announcement about them taking over a Palais Royale in League City for a grocery store.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/04/26/gordon-food-service-store-league-city.html

2 Likes

I cannot speak to the comparison, but I adored going to Cardet’s with my Cuban friends at Texas Commerce.

2 Likes

That was back in the day! I worked in rhe Texas Commerce Tower before the bank was renamed.

I never went to Cardet’s though I lived less than 10 blocks away for a couple of years. I went to the successor, Cafe Latina or something like that.

Great memories. I was GC at Texas Commerce and then a partner in a firm with offices in that tower. Wow has that area changed!

1 Like

Back to news on JCIG aka JCI Grill aka James Coney Island

So, they’re not going away but they have been considering selling it???

Interesting inside dope, anyway, straight from the dog’s mouth, as it were.

I’ll be getting a Cabo Bob’s burrito place at Meadows Place/Stafford.

2 Likes

We just saw this topic resurface, and did some quick checking. Did State Grille ever reappear after the property was bought reportedly for a very pretty penny? We had dinner twice at its predecessor Confederate House, both times the chicken-fried ribeye.

1 Like

Remember when restaurants and bars gave away matches?

I recently ran across these in an old box of misc crap:

2 Likes

I remember the midnight tuna melt at Harlow’s after the bars!

1 Like

Uh, more information, please! Never went to Harlow’s after the bars - twas afraid I might not be able to find my way home since that part of town was not my usual.

Caution: Dating yourself here. Been to the first 4; not sure I ever heard of the last two. Uh, Billy Blues was on Richmond, right?

ETA: I think I have one around here from Boston Sea Food or Sea Food Party, big place on Westheimer about where Molina’s is now??? AYCE seafood - I wonder what ever happened to that concept?

Sorry, forgot about this one. I have a vague idea one or the other resurfaced over on San Felipe in Rivah Oaks, but I’m thinking that was CH??? I ate at one or the other - whichever it was at the time - on W. Alabama @ Wesleyan??? Perhaps hypnosis will help (me). Sorry. The decades are piling up.

Boston Sea Party! I remember that place.

1 Like

Harlow’s was one of the few places that stayed open late. It was on Hillcroft like the package says. It was always packed at midnight on. It was very popular spot in the late 70s/early 80s. I wonder how long it’s been gone. I loved that tuna melt!

Edit to add: actually there was a Harlow’s run by Landry’s restaurant group inside the Greenway Plaza movie theater, but I see that it has now closed. I’m not sure if they were somehow related to the first period but I think they both had Jean Harlow on a wall mural.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NM6mF2FsArAtLjNj9

1 Like

Nam was at the SE/C of Fondren and Westheimer. It’s been closed at least twenty years but the sign is still up on the marquee.

Mata Hari was an Indonesian restaurant in the Carillon on the far west side of the center. I loved it but it was a very exotic cuisine at the time.

Billy Blues was a bbq/music venue on the Richmond Strip. You might recall the big blue saxophone sculpture incorporating a VW bug in its design. I saw Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown play there in the mid90s.

Atchafalaya was on Westheimer just east of Fondren. Good Creole/Cajun back in the day. Apartments there now.

Lambsy had already told you about Harlows and yes, Fertitta bought the name and opened it in the Greenway complex. Don’t think I ever went to that one though.

Gugenheim’s. We ALL remember Gugenheim’s, right? Before Katz’, before Kenny and Ziggy’s, there was Guggenheim’s.

I have fond, (if in some cases, somewhat hazy), memories of all six of those places.

Houston has always been a fun place to eat.

1 Like

I went through my bowl of match books and relived Charley’s 517, Uncle Tai’s, Zimm’s, Brennan’s, Harvey’s, Birrapoetti’s, Papa Joe’s, The Lancaster, Baba Yega, Sammy’s, Maxim’s, Jaimalito’s, The Red Lion Inn, Cuellar’s, The Hotel Meridien, Ninfa’s, The Houston Club, The Inns of Court, Las Alamedas, Harry’s Kenya, St. Michel, The Plaza Club, and of course my old employer, Texas Commerce Bank, which made it all possible. Lots of others. I left Houston in 1989 for Austin and have no idea if any of these still exist. They hold a lot of good memories, though.

1 Like

I count three.

Brennan’s, Birraporetti’s still has a single theater district outpost I believe, and of course Ninfa’s.

Good list.

1 Like