Closed restaurants you miss most [TX]

I found a photo…

Bill%20Williams%20Houston%20Main%20Street

2 Likes

Belden’s Grocery in Meyerland is closing. I used to go there for veal cutlets when I lived in Sharpstown.

2 Likes

Belden’s is closed, here is its replacement. @brucesw alerted us to this project 3 years ago. It is now open, catering to the local community. Belden’s did that too, but couldn’t compete I imagine. And it’s been over 2 years since @brucesw ghosted this forum!

2 Likes

Meanwhile, near Lake Somerville…image

1 Like

Wow!! Good find! What’s it doing there?

1 Like

Looking for “teepee”?

1 Like

I thought Nino’s was on West Gray.

Nino’s and Vincent’s are on W. Dallas. But they are closing soon if not already closed. So sad, end of an era. The second generation doesn’t want to run them I guess. I’ve had so many good meals there and gatherings at the Grappino’s out back for live music in open air happy hours.

Further upthread, they are talking about Pino’s. As I recall, that was outside the loop on Hillcroft in Southwest Houston.

1 Like

Thanks Lambowner. I was really at a loss as to what @Vecchiouomo was referring to – Nino’s, Niko’s, Pino’s, Ninfa’s, I think there’s a Nikosz out in SL - senility gets closer and closer I’m afraid.

1 Like

Savage style meant you could eat it (fried chicken) with your hands. Everybody did at home but dining out, it was considered uncivilized and people ate fried chicken with knife and fork.

Youngblood’s fried chicken was practically next door to that Bill Williams, and Ye Olde College Inn, where Captain Benny Heineman (?) was oyster shucker.

Sorry, the post I responded to thought Pino’s was on West Gray. Pino’s location has been set straight. It seemed likely that anyone recalling Pino’s on West Gray might have been thinking of Nino"s. It has gone very upscale, but I remember it when it had linoleum floors with bare concrete in spots.

On restaurants in Houston I miss, I would include Shanghai East in the Galleria, Hamburgers by Gourmet, Biba’s One’s a Meal, and the old downtown Jame’s with the balcony dining area.

In Austin I miss Las Manitas tremendously.

In Dallas, even though the Burger House remains, I miss Jack.

It may take me awhile to figure out how HO is structured. On CH it was pretty easy to connect answers to questions. .

2 Likes

I have something rattling around in my head that added to the confusion. There was a show on Channel 8, probably part of one of their pledge drives, with Jim Goode of Goode Co. BBQ, the guy from Royer’s in Round Top, and the guy from Pino’s. Goode was doing a brisket in the parking lot, the guy from Royer’s was making pie crust, the guy from Pino’s - I’d never heard of the place - I don’t remember what he was making but it looked good. I sent in for the recipe. It’s from that show I got the idea Pino’s was on W. Gray. I never went.

Now, if I ever find that piece of paper with the recipe, this story will undoubtedly need revisions.

You mention some of my favorites - HBG, oh, how I miss those burgers (and tacos), Bibas One’s a Meal lived on as Bibas Greek Restaurant/One’s a Meal until a couple of years ago by which time it had become Theo’s Greek Restaurant/One’s a Meal and then finally dropped the reference to the old sandwich chain One’s a Meal. I remember One’s a Meal from before Bibas. I’ve got something on James Coney Island, now officially JCI Grill, and the Walker Street location. I’ll post it if I can find it.

Welcome to the board, again.

Heh heh heh - The Linoleum Club?

James Coney Island Walker Street store

Don’t miss the slide show.

I never ate at that one :angry:

1 Like

I remember when JCI closed, I never went to that location either. The one at Town and Country closed a few months ago. I think there’s only a couple left.

More than I thought.

2 Likes

I think I saw 2 listed as closed, but there’s only one so listed on Yelp - T&C.

Its interesting to me - probably over a decade since the name change, the buildings stilll prominently display the old name of James Coney Island instead of JCI Grill.

I wonder how those ‘grill’ items have been doing (whatever they are)?

Another one on the west side of town closed as well just after the town and country location closed. The owner posts in our neighborhood forum. The closest one to me now is on Westheimer she said. But I didn’t go to the one at town and country very often when it was there, I always forgot about it. It did not have a drive-through.

By the way, the tamale plate at JCIG is pretty legit; I think its year round. For that occasional emergency tamale fix when a drive-thru is just what you need.

The JCIG in Stafford, just down 59/69 from the Wilcrest/Murphy/1092 intersection is still open, as is the one in Meyerland Plaza and the one on S. Shepherd @ Richmond.

2 Likes

Word is a national chain is taking over the Belden’s space. Rumor is it will be a Sprouts. That’ll be good for me - only been to Sprouts 2 or 3 times - too far to the one on Westheimer.

The space is way too big for a TJ’s or Aldi; hasn’t suffered as much flooding in the past as the old HEB across the bayou.

The only other new grocer I’ve heard about that might be coming is Lidl but I think that’s a ways far off.

1 Like

I only went to that HEB 2 or 3 times after it opened. Too danged big! Surburban sized store in an older, just outside the Loop part of town where there are lots of retirees and empty nesters, not big families.

I do get curbside pickup from there regularly but if I want to shop in person, I’ll go to the smaller Bellaire or even smaller Buffalo Speedway store. They’re all different layouts so if you know your way around one of them, you’ll be lost in another.

Re: ‘ghosted’ - first time I came across that term. I had to go look at myself in the mirror to make sure I wasn’t a ghost. Lost quite a bit of weight but apparently I’m still alive!

1 Like