Closeby Small Town places where you like to eat for a mini roadie - Houston

Onion rings look pretty good to me. And a nice sized pile of 'em, too. Burger (looked it up on FB) looks drool worthy.

But famous??? Never heard of the place. But then, I may have last been to Lufkin ca. 1957!:laughing:

Thanks for the report.

I don’t like EaDo at all. The one I really don’t like is The Montrose. I could be wrong but I put the blame on radio station KLOL in the late 70’s/80’s.

Wow. That’s going back a-ways; I hadn’t even thought of that one. I do remember when I first came to town in 1970 I thought it was just Montrose but by the end of the decade, I was hearing The Montrose. I thought maybe I’d just misunderstood.

LOL was never my station, so I don’t know about that connection/influence.

But if we’re going back that far, I would have to bring up The Village, now known as (The) Rice VIllage. Danged historical revisionism, or what ever it is — it’s just The Village!

Yes, I know Rice University now owns a lot of the real estate in The Village (and along Main Street from mid-town and south) but there is nothing other than that justifying the name. It will always be just The Village to me.

A friend is talking about this place in Leona (population <200) off Ii-45 north of Huntsville and it seems like a worthy stop! He claims they serve the best steaks anywhere.

Leona Steakhouse

Here’s an interesting list from the Comical:

21 Must-try Restaurants near the Bay Area.

Pearland is near the Bay?? Well, it’s grown so much towards the West it may have grown that far to the East, I guess.

The Guatemalan place in Clear Lake looks good to me, and not that far off 45 on the NASA ByPass.

I had seen Himalayan Taste in Galveston on Yelp and had it on my list of places to try when I get down there (still haven’t made it).

I wish the headline writers would lose the ‘must-try’ phrase. It’s really getting old.

"Woah - we should pull over! That must be a news story!" "No, it's just @killensbbq!" #abc13 #BestBBQinTexas pic.twitter.com/3YrRiCK3CN

— Pooja Lodhia (@PoojaOnTV) December 28, 2016

I’d just keep on driving :smiling_imp:.

1 Like

Did anybody see this? An Italian deli in Montgomery is the top spot in the country according to YELP. Not just in the Houston area, the whole country. Wha???

I first read about Tony’s a couple of years ago when I was on a quest to find the best Italian sub in Houston but never could convince myself to drive all the way up there. Hmm.

I’ve heard of those other Houston places and have been considering the place in Spring Branch the next time I go to Super H Mart. I’m also very interested in Yo Yo’s but he’s only open in the evening, there’s always a line (and I’m sure problems finding parking).

There are a few other places on the list in Texas so I thought I’d post this on this thread.

1 Like

Saw it, didn’t believe it. Hehe.

1 Like

Old thread but…Lambsie…have you tried the onion rings at Willie’s in Katy?

JC - Tried to find one of the posts where you (I think it was) were recommending the burgers at Dairy Cone in Columbus. I filed it away for a rainy day. So that rainy day came yesterday. And I did stop there. And you were right. Outstanding burgers in the way that only old-school burgers can be. Thanks!

2 Likes

Guilty as charged. Please tell me you got some bacon on it.

Can’t do it. I like bacon as much as anyone, but it’s like that quote about baseball: “90 feet between the bases is the closest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved.” In my gustatorial world “the closest thing to perfection” is the delicate balance of hot beef patty, cool crunchy veggies, and bread. I am a hamburger purist. I want nothing to upset or intefere with that delicate balance. Not bacon. Not cheese. Not avocado. Not grilled soft onions. Not more meat (the double-patty option).

All those gussied-up burgers are easy to find. But a plain, old-school burger? A thing of rare beauty. That’s what I wanted. That’s what I got.

And even a malted milk.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I hear you. No cheese at all for me but sometimes, just sometimes I’ll put some cheddar on half of a fat medium rare done at home.

I grew up meat and bun kid and have only experienced meat with veggies recently.

The bacon at Dairy Cone is exceptional and I suggest trying a side order.

Then there’s the sixty feet six inches mound to home plate.

I’m still trying to come to grips that the Astros might have won the 2017 World Series despite having watched Game 7 at least 40 times.

I was at the last game at Colt .45 Stadium in 1964, Colts 1, Dodgers zero.

I remember Bob Bruce winning franchise record 15 games and Hall of Famer Don Drysdale going for the LA club and the kids, my brother and myself included running on the field after the Colts win.

I don’t remember Bruce throwing 12 shutout innings with Drysdale going 11 and Ron Perranoski losing it in the 12th.

Courtesy of baseball reference:

2 Likes

BLTs are my favorite sandwich. Might ask if they have that on the menu. If not, I’ll order a baconburger, extra bacon, hold the burger.

1 Like

Here’s a fun box score. Check out the 1927 Yankees with Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.

I’ll have a vintage 1927 hot dog, easy mustard and all the beer you can bring.

They have dollar dogs at Astros games on Tuesdays, wondering what that would translate to in 2018 bucks.

1 Like

I was at the Sugar Land Willie’s not long ago, but I don’t think anyone ordered onion rings! Must try?

In a prior life, I worked a bit with the Willie’s owners. At the time, they told me to order the fried jalapenos and ask for both the queso and ranch for dipping. I am faithful to that to this day. They are delicious.

I’m definitely going to get some of those fried jalapenos next time I’m there. As for those big fat freshly-breaded and fried onion rings, I think they’re as good as it gets. I recommended them to Doobs a while back and he seemed pretty happy.

Oh wait, I think we are talking about 2 different Willie’s. I’m talking about the Willie’s Icehouse chain. I haven’t made it to the place you and Doobs have discussed yet. I need to get there.

http://www.willy-burger.com/m/?Mobile=Contact

1 Like