Chuckanut Manor (Bow, WA)

I grew up with this place. Back in that day, there was nothing in Skagit County that pretended to be “haute”, and only a handful of places that qualified as nice. CM was one of the latter.

The arc of restaurants being what it is, things inexorably change. My distant memories of CM are of a local seafood buffet. Good, solid, plain local seafood–one of the few places around for fresh, locally-caught crab and oysters done various ways. Never stellar, but always dependable. The kind of place to take older relatives on holidays or special occasions.

What IS and always has been stellar here is the water and island views, which simply can’t be exaggerated. Sublime, expansive, and bespeak of an unspoiled state of nature. Sunsets render the unblind speechless.

However, until recently, the “grandma’s birthday” reputation ossified with the saggy floors and overall sleepiness of the place. Originally built in 1934 as a wealthy residence, it was, well, rundown and unappealing. The “Manor” moniker was a sad inside joke.

But now? A very classy, tasteful remodel, talent in the back of the house, and menus that should interest gourmand and granny. Great service and good art everywhere. CM now fully qualifies as a First Date-worthy restaurant. The bar deck in summer is stunningly cool.

Prices are a tick above the local pub food, but well below Oyster Bar’s up the road.

This is the one local Skagit place I would send visitors to who want an easy, memorable and beautiful dining experience.

They also have “Nessie”, but that’s a little secret…

4 Likes