Chuckanut Brewpub, Bellingham

I stopped here at Chuckanut’s brewpub on Bellingham’a historic industrial waterfront last weekend. I’ve been a fan of their Kolsch beer for awhile, and was pleased to see that they have their own kitchen. This is unlike many of the new B’ham craft brewers, who seem to feature food trucks.

The pub space is small and inviting, built out with class, yet not overdone or too clever.

The food we had–a pizza–was excellent, probably the best pizza I’ve had in Bellingham. The menu is well thought out (unlike places like Boundary Bay), surprisingly varied, and bespeaks that food isn’t just an afterthought.

And perhaps the BEST news is that the beers are all excellent and balanced. Chuckanut does not worship IPAs like many others do, so they tend to favor balance over hoppiness for hoppiness’ sake. I had a lager that was top notch.

Service was also excellent.

Chuckanut will be my default stop in Bellingham for beer and casual dining.

Aloha,
Kaleo

PS Anyone else’s impressions of and recommendations at Chuckanut would be most welcome!

Second stop here yesterday, and second home run! I had the Brewer’s Special, an outsized bockwurst (mit kraut, naturlich und chips) and a pint of their Festbier, $8.95 or both. Wahine had their meatloaf sandwich and a pint of their gold-medal-winning kolsch. Again, excellent beer, food and service, and a fantastic value at $26.

They get all the little details right at Chuckanut… Here’s the menu: http://www.chuckanutbreweryandkitchen.com/images/menuupdate2015.pdf

Next time, the chowder and mac-&-cheese.

Aloha,
Kaleo