Christopher's [Woonsocket RI] and Snookers [Providence RI]

Another installment of “quick trip to RI;” there will be many forthcoming. We had a late morning appointment at the new vacation RI house today (Saturday) so we paired that with a Friday visit to mom and dad for an early dinner followed by a visit to the awesomely over-the-top Jack O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo and then a sleepover at the 'rents house.

For dinner, I found something new-to-us in my parents’ vicinity in Woonsocket, Christopher’s Kitchen and Bar. We secured a table on their pleasant outdoor rooftop terrace. Straight-forward, simple American-Italian-Greek food and friendly service. We started with their popular deep-fried zucchini accompanied by good tzatziki. These were really fun to eat, like “healthy” potato chips. Clearly the oil was clean and fresh. Mom and dad split the short rib stifado, which was autumn on a plate, with the rich wine sauce, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies. B had a mushroom pizza (I didn’t taste it but it looked just ok to me, with a generic-looking crust but B liked it), I had an unexciting but fresh-tasting veggie pappardelle pasta (chock-full of veggies in fresh tomato sauce called “Santorini,” though I don’t know why). Spring Onion stuck with a kids cheese pizza. A bit on the pricey side, especially for Northern RI (the short rib was $29) but we were happy to enjoy a sunny meal together. The restaurant is right across from the Museum of Work and Culture and less than 10 minutes from Wright’s Dairy Farm so we try this place again in combination with a museum or farm visit.

After our house visit today, we headed straight to Snookers, which is B’s favorite place in Providence to catch some college football. And the food was surprisingly good today - a HUGE and good (probably unhealthy) Cobb salad for B, a tasty veggie burger with guacamole and arugula for me, and a hot dog for SO. Really good fries. Splurged and let SO order a chocolate lava cake dessert. Even SO was surprised at how large it was (B and I, but mostly B, may have helped a little and cried mercy without finishing it).

8 Likes

You’re going to have so much fun finding new places in Rhode Island!

3 Likes

And I’m going to have fun hearing Digga’s reports!

5 Likes

Hey Digga!
Where’s your summer house in RI? My daughter lives in Warwick, and we’re planning on renting a place for a week or two in or near Narragansett this summer. Please post about restos in RI–“north” or “south”!

I’m not digga, but fwiw, I have a couple of Narragansett threads from past trips down that way. Here’s one from summer 2021 and if you scroll lower down in that thread I link to an older one from 2018 that I think is mostly still valid. Enjoy!

2 Likes

@leg I don’t want to jinx our house sale (we haven’t closed yet) so I won’t disclose the location but we won’t be very close to Narragansett. You bet I will post about all things-Rhode Island, though.

3 Likes