Christmas Eve dinner

Yes, he doesn’t have an accent more typical of southern Italian migrants, and a name like Boiardi could sound like franco-provençal names in southeastern France. I’m not surprised that he invented palatable army food and then those “kits”.

Interesting that his wife was Polish.

This is true throughout many countries in the eurozone. The youth unemployment and emigration are astounding in Ireland, Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal. (In Portugal, someone under 40 emigrates every 5 minutes!) In this case, however, it is also the highly educated, no longer the farm workers and shepherds.

I don’t know. I think American men (and women) owe a huge debt to Italian tailors (and barbers!)

I think I thought he was French because he wore a toque, and there was a time that Americans believed that the only peope who were “chefs” were French because that was the only serious cooking. (Also, I guess his name reminded me of Charles Boyer.)

I read somewhere that after Boiardi started his pasta-packaging business – (it grew from his Cleveland restaurant, where customers liked his pasta sauce so much they asked to take extra home, which he would pour into empty milk bottles and hand them) – he moved to Pennsylvania so he could be closer to good tomato fields. Now that’s Italian.

1 Like

A mostly Scottish descent group at the Christmas eve table. Grilled beef tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, french cut green beans almondine & sauteed mushrooms. & I am in the process of making a black forest cake.
The tamales sound so good and get me thinking about making them on New Years day.

1 Like