Christmas Eve and Christmas plans/traditions?

What’s going on food-wise tonight? Eating out? Staying in? Anyone do the Feast of Seven Fishes?

I remember when I was growing up, my family usually ended up at TGI Friday’s because most other restaurants closed early and we went to 5 PM mass (in my long-lost religious days :smiley: ).

Then we went to Yesterday’s in Hazlet for three or four years because of convenience, they were open until 10. I really despised this restaurant. Drinks were cheap but the food was and I imagine still is dreadful. Two years ago we ended up making the trek to Cafe Bela Vita on Staten Island, one of my favorite restaurants. My dad passed away in the coming months and I have yet to return to that place. I worked last Christmas Eve (and enjoyed it just for being out of the house at a sad time) so tonight is kind of a first.

I am thinking Barnacle Bill’s for tonight with my mom, grandma, and Justin. They are open regular hours tonight. Kitchen until 10:30, bar until after 1. I could use a few LIT’s. Its a place that I discovered after my father’s death, and therefore has no connection to him and has a chance to make new memories or maybe a tradition.

How about everyone else?

4 Likes

Tonight, we’re having roasted brussels sprouts and watching the Alistsir Sim version of SCROOGE.

5 Likes

We’re doing Festivus for the rest of us.

4 Likes

Feast of strength?

1 Like

Indeed, plus the airing of grievances.

There will be on Christmas White Christmas with Bing and Danny Kaye, Rudolph and the best animated special ever, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Dinner will feature a jalapeno and crawfish stuffed boneless chicken from a local meat market and bacon and waffles for breakfast.

4 Likes

This one feels different than previous years … for a number of reasons
going to watch “Love Actually”, because it is a super silly feel good movie right after
I watch this video and depress the hell out of myself :cry: Happy Holidays to all

DH picked up an amazing Napoleon cake from a bakery in Brooklyn, it was dinner

1 Like

Change of viewing plan … switched out Love Actually for the Pogues documentary on the Making of Fairytale of NY … guess it is becoming a new tradition … 2nd year in a row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSNzqqLFT0&fbclid=IwAR0yOaM-ZuJ5bIQv2x0zgmjYWmYOcN6_So4jkye_ZeSK1Pajl2rGjYcMA0k
And then this happened … night all

4 Likes

I was with my best friend’s family, as I have been for 25+ years now. His nieces are my nieces, and I love getting hang time with them and the rest of the crew. Dinner at that house isn’t the focus as much as dessert is (baking DNA) so I let my Cookie Monster dictate my eating last night!

3 Likes

We have an old family tradition of going to the movies and then out for Chinese food on Christmas. It dates back to the time of the Pharaohs in Egypt. One of our family historical heirlooms is a receipt from House of DeNile dated 1102 B.C.

13 Likes

We have the same tradition! I’m not sure we go back that far with it though. Chinese tonight!!

4 Likes

We were invited to dinner with some friends. They are of Slovakian origin and do a traditional Slovak Xmas Eve dinner of three soups. No meat but lots of ethnic accompaniments. Lots of tradition at their house - it was a lot of fun.

7 Likes

DH took a pic :slight_smile:
less can be so much more … so good

9 Likes

Ours doesn’t date back that far but I do love a Chinese feast on Christmas. We just got back from Asian Jewels in Flushing, where they were so slammed that they basically ran out of dim sum. We managed to snare a few favorites from the carts and then ordered some lo mein and beef with dry tofu to round out the meal. Yum!

3 Likes

Just finished fried turkey in Pennsylvania.

Last year we didn’t travel and made no plans so Christmas Eve we went to the Hotel Tides for drinks, not realizing it was a pot luck. I couldn’t eat anything there so we went to Mcloones as it was the only place open. Kitchen was closed so we went to Kim Marie’s.
Feasted on potato skins, wife had cheese steak egg rolls. Lots of lonely people in there drinking, pretty sad actually but made for a strange Christmas memory that thankfully did not turn into a tradition.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a ‘plan B’ surf and turf. Plan ‘A’ was to have filet mignon with lobster but both Fairway and ShopRite were closed on Christmas day. So instead of lobster we had to settle for shrimp Thermidor😄 The filet was cooked in black truffle butter and veal demi glacé, and was served over an excellent umami bomb of butternut squash puree that was mixed with duck fat, thyme, garlic, and coconut milk, anong other ingredients. It was topped with blue cheese. The shrimp Thermidor might not look pretty but it was decadent, and contained a ton of ingredients. It all went great with LePlan Cotes Du Rhone.

4 Likes

The token Jew in the house just convinced them that we need some veggies and spicy dumplings from the local Chinese restaurant… :grin:

4 Likes

My relatives went outside of Cairo for Chinese…

10 Likes

One tradition I’d like to continue to celebrate is my grand kids running up to me with arms wide open and singing, “Merry Christmas, Grandpa. I love you.”

5 Likes

To celebrate Isaac Newton’s birthday, our friends’ daughter cooked a Home Fresh holiday meal: baguette slices with brie and raspberry jam, beef medallions in a cherry glaze, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, carrots, mashed potatoes, and apple-cranberry compote.

3 Likes

I love this idea so much… ! Enjoy!!

1 Like