Christmas dinner - 1899

The meal served on Christmas Day, 1899 during the Siege of Ladysmith, South Africa.

Worthy of note that only the “European children” in the town were invited to a party. And that the “rosbif” was spoiled somewhat as the bakery where it was being cooked was shelled by the Boers.

6 Likes

I notice vins for children. :smile: They seemed to have the right to get drunk (eau de KR) and to bring the rest home.

Too bad for the rosbif.

1 Like

Well, eau de KR is just plain old water, but the cognac and rum ought to have done the job nicely. :wink:

1 Like

Reading it through again, I think there were two events. The children’s party in the evening. And another meal, with booze, served to adults - probably at lunchtime. Most of the besieged were soldiers and, at that period, the main meal of the day was served then (although generally known as “dinner”). The extra “evidence” is that there was one potato “for each man”.

With supplies heavily rationed during the siege, the issue of booze can’t be per person and it suggests that this must have been a small group - maybe a platoon (or each small group was given a booze ration)

Ah you’re right, I was thinking of eau de vie with Klip River as brand! Silly me!

1 Like