Chopped Cheese Leaves Bodegas

A very interesting read:

1 Like

Is there some unique set of seasonings that makes this iconic? They just cook hamburgers and chop them up or they are essentially In the Hood loosemeat sandwiches, a Maid Rite for Urban Americans?
:slight_smile:

Huh.
I actually live in harlem. Not in east harlem where the famous bodega is but not that far off. I’m vegetarian so when i go for a bodega hero it’s certainly not listed on their sandwich board (if they have one). I’ll have to ask in the next few i stop in if they make this, sounds simple enough i can see the appeal.

I can see both points of view in the article, and if restaurants want to turn this into the next “thing” by making fancy versions for their menus i don’t see the harm in it- if something is delicious why not share and celebrate it?
What i actually love the most about this is that this one bodega-likely an independently owned spot like sooooo many others- has now really made it’s mark, i mean it the NY Times! I hope this becomes their small business success story since i witness so many of these bodega owners who literally work 12-14hr days every day.

1 Like

I think he is responding to the cultural insensitivity … I believe he is seeing it as a big “diss”