Chocolate curl question

I have had success making beautiful chocolate curls in the past and many more times my efforts were no better than grated chocolate. Have tried a peeler and a knife and it seems it is really the temperature of the chocolate that makes the difference. I need chocolate curls tomorrow for my almost completed black forest cake. I am thinking about putting a chunk of chocolate (peter’s semisweet) into my dehydrator at 80˚ for an hour or two tomorrow morning. Any suggestions?

You’re shaving it off the block? Then yes, being a little warmer will help. You just don’t want it so warm that the thin shavings collapse and get sticky. Maybe put the shavings on a chilled plate or at least work in a cool room.

Thanks for the chilled plate idea. The chunk of chocolate is in dehydrator now. Hoping for curls!

Curls came out well - not huge or long but enough to pile up on top. I put the large chunk of chocolate in the dehydrator for 30 min (25 would have been less messy) then used the peeler. Very quick - about 5 min for a big pile.
There are 4 10" layers of chocolate sponge, brushed with kirsch and simple syrup, 3 layers of a sour cherry filling (homemade with 2 large jars of morellos), whip cream spread on each layer. There are no children coming to dinner which is good considering the amount of kirsch in this cake!
Interestingly, I looked in about 20-30 of my likely cookbooks for a recipe for Black Forest Cake and found the recipe in only one book, Pastry Chef. Many mentions and recipes online but for such a famous cake I was surprised not to find many mentions of it in any of my books.

1 Like

Wow, that looks beautiful! And the curls are amazing. Wish I could savor a piece of it!

Nice work!

beautiful

care to share the recipe?

Happy to share the recipe, it was taken from a few places. but will come back after Christmas craziness to post it.
& Heidi you can’t imagine how much I wanted to have a piece last night. Usually when I make a big cake there are cake scraps, leftover cream, filling but this time I used every bit of everything. So I will have to wait til tonight to see if it tastes as good as it looks.

1 Like

Your cake is beautiful, and the chocolate curls turned out great. Nice work.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Making noodles. Phongdien Town, Cantho City, Southern Vietnam.
Credit: CiaoHo