chocolate cheesecake ice cream recipe?

My mother has requested chocolate cheesecake ice cream for her birthday on Friday. Does anyone have a recipe they love?

Many years ago my mother had an ice cream recipe book that had wonderful recipes including one for chocolate cheesecake ice cream (and a delicious peach ice cream) but we remember nothing about the book which was given away along with the ice cream maker at some point. There don’t seem to be a ton of recipes online for chocolate cheesecake ice cream, and the ones that are there are not extensively reviewed…

Thanks!

While I have not made this, it is from “The Joy of Ice Cream” whose recipes have yet to fail me.

Ingredients
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk

Preparation
Place the cream cheese, sugar, and milk in a blender and whirl at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the cocoa and continue to blend until mixture is uniformly dark. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix. Slowly add the cream and continue mixing on low speed for about 30 seconds.

Transfer the mixture to your ice-cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes slightly more than 1 quart

2 Likes

Have you made other recipes in the blender like that? Seems like you’d want to be really careful not to over-blend the cream and turn it into butter.

Yeah… it’s been fine so long as you blend on a slow speed.

My blender goes pretty slow. If your blender does not, consider using a mixer instead.

2 Likes

I made this recipe today (the birthday dinner is tomorrow) and it came out great, thank you! I was worried about over blending it since I only have a vitamix, so I used my immersion blender on the first step and then switched to a hand mixer for the rest of the steps. It looked like a Wendy’s frostie when it came out, and I was worried that it seemed like there texture would be too granular but we ate some after it had spent just about an hour in the fridge and it was really good! I’ll report in about how it’s received by my mother who I assume is thinking about something particular. I think it will be even better after it spends a full night in the freezer.

I make some ice cream. My instincts would be to add melted dark chocolate to all of this at some point before freezing.

Glad to hear you liked it… here’s hoping your mother does too.

And just a footnote: while Vitamix is considered a high speed blender, on speed 1 they run decidedly slower than most less costlier brands.

1 Like

It was a hit! She said it was just like she remembered (and also said that the texture which was very hard to scoop straight out of the freezer was exactly like her old recipe). I served it in a giant ice cream sundae with homemade mint chip and sweet cream ice cream and freshly made whipped cream with hot fudge and walnuts. All were no cook recipes which makes everything so much easier (and with a sous vide for pasteurizing eggs, it’s a breeze).

I was looking it up and you know, I think the book was the Joy of Ice Cream! I’ll have to buy a used copy and get that peach ice cream recipe I remember so fondly. My mom was wistfully remembering the banana recipe.

You’re a star, @ScottinPollock!

4 Likes

Chocolate Cheesecake Ice Cream:

Ingredients:

-2 cups heavy cream

-1 cup whole milk

-⅔ cup granulated sugar

-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

-½ teaspoon fine sea salt

-4 ounces cream cheese, softened

-1 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot, but not boiling.

2. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the cream cheese until completely combined.

3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. Once the mixture is chilled, add it to the bowl of an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

5. During the last few minutes of processing, add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.

6. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Enjoy!

I’m so happy about the recommendation of the book, my mother agreed it was the book we had and then got me an old copy this holiday season. I made the extra-bittersweet chocolate this weekend and it was just incredible! Thanks for the info, we used the vitamix to prep and it worked great!

(1the recipe is 1 egg, 1c half and half, 3/4 cup sugar, 1cup cocoa, 1tsp vanilla, blended, then adding 3 cups heavy cream while slowly blending, then freeze in machine)

1 Like

Happy to hear you snagged a copy of the book… a lot of good stuff in it. Pages 64 and 68 are two of my favs.