Chinese New Year- trip and eats

Is Lauhound still active somewhere? I haven’t heard updates from his blog or elsewhere.

he’s active on fb:

2 Likes

Chinese New Year dinner last night with wife and two dear friends. Our friends treated us to Dai Bien Lo (hot pot), a popular traditional winter season family style meal. Hot Pot is a fun and delicious venue to enjoy good food and conversation in the warm company of good friends, all the more special for the CNY eve celebration.

This Tsim Tsa Tsui Restaurant is my buddy’s favorite for hot pot. The ingredients were super fresh. The prawns and clams were still alive and kicking. No corkage for the bottles our hosts graciously and thoughtfully provided.

Six components to mix and match for the dipping sauce to perfectly complement the delights to come. I’ve been on a chile pepper kick lately, so loaded up on Thai Bird’s Eye Chile, Cilantro, Scallions and Soy.

A milky broth cooking with the richness of half a Heritage Chicken, this soup was already delicious on its own.

Beautiful selection of sea creatures.

Abalone.

Large briny Clam.

Fresh shucked Oyster. Would have been great to eat simply raw, but even better after a quick hot soak.

Live Prawns, still kicking. Very sweet, very juicy.

Cuttlefish.

Scallops.

Spiny Lobster. These were packed with tender succulent meat. Worth the extra work to extract the juicy morsels.

Some veggies for balance, Lotus and Lettuce.

Beef and Pork.

Goose Intestines. Slightly crunchy with a little chew and subtle goose flavor. A favorite.

Black Cuttlefish Ball. Cuttlefish ball colored and flavored with Ink (squid or cuttlefish?). Not outstanding, but provides an interesting novelty factor.

The breakout item of the night. Yuba (Bean Curd Skin) deep fried rolls. Had a flavor that made me instantly flash back to my mom’s kitchen. For CNY treats, mom used to deep fry shrimp chips, rice vermicelli and bean curd skins. Didn’t actually care much for the bean curd then, but couldn’t stop eating the shrimp chips.

We were instructed to introduce these crispy rolls to the soup for no more than 3 seconds. The broth soaked yet still crisp centered Yuba were addictive!! We were pretty stuffed at this point , but still found room for an extra order.

Some toothsome Alkaline Water Noodles cooked for 10 seconds in the happy broth was next to last. Traditional plate of Watermelon to finish.

Gung Hay Fat Choy!!! I see lots of PIG in my future. :wink:

5 Likes

Happy lunar year!

4 Likes

Dinner at Fung Shing Restaurant, which specializes in Shunde District (near Canton) food. The restaurant was full of families celebrating the New Year. The food is fairly simple village food, quite delicious. We’d enjoyed Dim Sum here before, so confident that dinner would be as delicious.

Some Boiled Peanuts and Pickles to start with our wine.

Appetizers were Goose Wings/Webs and a deconstructed build-it-yourself sandwich. Pork Belly, Sausage, Ham on White Bread. Fun and different, a little too sweet.

Pig’s Feet and Pickled Jellyfish. A classic app that crosses many Chinese cuisine lines. Clean and snappy, well done.

Perfect Dau Mew (pea sprouts) topped with Roasted Garlic Cloves. Very tasty.

Fish Cake Patties. I can easily fantasize gorging on these at some grandma’s kitchen table.

Fried Milk Custard. Glad to try, no hurry to repeat.

Fish Stuffed with its own Fish Paste. Another rustic presentation. Tasty, but not worth the somewhat high price.

Gotta have Chicken at a NY dinner. Heritage Free Range (bony) Chicken with the ginger sauce complement.

Long Beans, Squid and Shrimp. Always good, this was a well prepared version.

We were all quite full by now, but my eater in crime requested the Sweet Rice anyway.

We were scheduled to fly out the following morning, and she was planning to munch on any leftover rice onboard in lieu of the yummy airplane spread. Phone buzzed at 6am this morning alerting us of a flight delay. Took this as a sign, so staying in Hong Kong over the weekend. The gluttony continues.

7 Likes

Not even Friday in the States and now you already have the bonus CNY weekend . . . not your doing . . . good cause.

The first time we opened a Los Vascos bottle (closer to the new millennium’s beginning than now), we thought: Whoa Podna – that’s a Rothschild wine. Were our sense that acute ?

1 Like

Good eye. :wink:

That Rothschild emblem sells wine in Asia. Los Vassos was super hot here a few years back > 5 years. Demand (on the import level) has since dropped off a cliff due to overexposure and oversupply. Picked up 3 bottles of the cab at Park n Shop for USD$25. That’s a steal!!

The cab Reserve is very good, and Le Dix even better.

2 Likes

I would like to be stuck in hk! Lol. Great pics. What kind of fish is that? Looks tasty! I’m all about whole fish.

I think it’s the pan-fried stuffed mud carp dish, as described in this Gourmet magazine article:

1 Like

I’m totally into whole fish as well. Just about every hole in the wall joint with a plastic tub and aerator will have fish considered exotic back home.

Yesterday’s fish was of a lowly status, a species from the grass carp family. When you get into the higher end of the pond, like grouper, you’re looking at big bucks.

Of course, if you stroll into any restaurant with that Tuna (your catch) on your shoulder, you can probably trade that for a 20 course dinner for ALL your best fishing buddies. :slight_smile:

FOB. Fresh off da Boat.

5 Likes

The article = Great stuff!! Gonna read in depth after we move later. We ate at the second listed restaurant, Fung Shung last night.

I’ve had the Stuffed. Duck at Lin Heung years ago. Ok, not earth shattering. Might’ve had a whole lot better response if we hadn’t already knocked off a whole bunch of other dishes already, and were Ready to lay our chopsticks down when the duck finally showed.

I think I’ve already recounted my first and only baked worm experience in Macao. I thought my first bite was ok. My host took a bite and started screaming bloody murder. SPOILED WORMS!!! How the heck should I know. shrung

2 Likes

Shudder!

Here we don’t eat top much carp in NJ. They are around though. For whole fish I eat winter flounder (my favorite) and also fluke (some people call it summer flounder from other states.) We also eat tautog (known as black fish or tog,) sea bass (aka black seabass,) ling, porgy.

Charley with a nice tog

4 Likes

Nice meaty looking guy!!

Didn’t care for carp much before. My wife enjoys it, I adapted. :slight_smile:

We’re a fish eat’in family.

Striper gifted from a fish catching buddy. Twin in freezer waiting for us to come home. :wink:

Two tosses of the throw net in SF Bay. Almost fill a 55 qt Colman with herring. Chock full of roe. Same buddy.

In air fryer and convection oven.

4 Likes

Long time didn’t eat this plate! Great comfort food.

Talking about Lin Heung, a recent article said they might face closure soon.

2 Likes

Lin Heung was closed for the holiday when we walked by the other day.

We walked by another Lin Heung, that claimed to be the second branch. I’m thinking maybe on Hennessey Road in Wan Chi. This also closed.

1 Like

We took the iconic Hong Kong double decker bus to seafood paradise, also known as Sai Kung. Snatched the prime front window seat on the upper deck, without too much jockeying. :muscle:

I’m always delighted to visit this tiny bustling town, long a quiet secluded fishing village. Tourism now rings the cash registers, with fish and seafood the main draw. Tourist and visitors flock here from nearby and abroad to enjoy the colorful locals and refreshing scenery, and of course, eat some of the freshest and best cooked seafood anywhere.

What fascinates are myriad multi-colored boats berthed at strategic access points on the harbor front. For seafood lovers (and we are), “kid in a candy store” don’t begin to describe the excitement and avarice when faced with all these choices.

Discerning locals and lucky visitors with kitchen privilege meticulously pick finfish, bivalves, crustaceans, cephalopods and more. Negotiate and drive your best bargain. The fishmonger swiftly dispatches your pick, cleans it, and presents your purchase up to you with the helpful extension of the landing net.

A couple of dozen restaurants are nearby and readily cook your catch, or the diner may choose from the almost bewildering walls of fishes that vie for your by now raging appetite.

We’ve enjoyed our seafood both ways, brought our own, and picked from the restaurant’s selection. These were not inexpensive meals, but still surprisingly reasonably priced for the freshness, cook quality and experience en total.

My wife bought some huge beautiful dried shrimp.

With our gawking and shopping out of the way, ready to pick the restaurant du jour. An unexpected thing happened as we strolled through Old Sai Kung. Lunch coming.

7 Likes

Very nice seafood in Sai Kung, very far away! You need a big gang to eat there to try several dishes. Interested in those dried shrimps, do you remember the name of the shop?

Do you know where to buy quality dried seafood or dried mushrooms with good price in HK?

That looks like a fun day! Do you have any clue what the cold water lobster cost vs the spiny?