CHINESE - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar)

Not sure this qualifies for inclusion on this thread, but a stab at hong shao rou with hua juan to sop up juice, grilled lettuce on the plate. Pork maybe a little over cooked, and buns over-proofed, but both very “tasty”, with buns waiting for breakfast duty.

10 Likes

Cantonese clay pot rice for lunch, only made in a rice cooker because I don’t have a clay pot. With lap cheong (Chinese sausage), lap yuk (Chinese cured pork belly), shiitake mushrooms, and some broccolini. Followed this recipe for the most part: https://thewoksoflife.com/hong-kong-style-clay-pot-rice/

12 Likes

I wonder if you can simulate the soccarat if you get the rice again and quickly toast it on the pan

Yeah that might work! It is what is missing without the clay pot. Or I could just find a clay pot somewhere I guess.

Clay pot or not, that looks delicious. Would a cast iron pan work if you cover it? I make paella in one and the concept seems similar to me.

2 Likes

Yes it’s possible, and even closer to a real clay pot rice. I usually use cast iron pot to make it in the oven and on stove. Yes there is soccarat, but without the smoky flavour cooked with outdoor claypot charcoal stove.

1 Like

I make several “pilaf” type dishes in a small le Creuset cocotte/Dutch oven and frequently, inadvertently achieve a soccarat. While this is humorous, I am serious.

6 Likes

Do you have a charcoal grill but no clay pot? Maybe cook in the iron iron but on the grill instead of the indoor stove/oven?

We love the soccarat. I will often make fried rice but it is really just rice recooked in a cast iron fry pan to get it browned on the bottom. My paella pan is 15.5" Staub cast iron pan. It is also my Thanksgiving vegetable saute pan.

2 Likes

I don’t have claypot that works on fire. (Just one that goes into oven.)

You can try your paella pan on a barbecue grill that uses charcoal, be careful to keep the moisture when cooking the rice and ingredients, cover with foil if necessary. Another essential of claypot rice is the soy sauce oil mix that is added at the end of the cooking, directly on the rice.

When I make paella, soccarat is a must!

2 Likes

I have the same effect in most pans.

But seriously, a small cast iron pot / Dutch oven also works.

(Many biryanis that should not have had a crunchy bottom layer have gotten one :flushed::roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Actually, dh always goes after that crunchy/chewy layer without realizing he’s being trendy. What he digs out helps with clean-up.

I love it for fried rice, dolsot bibimbap, and the like. Biryani, not so much.

@naf @pilgrim I was confused by each of your responses to my earlier posts but I realized I switched around my replies above. I need to pay more attention. Sorry

In fact, as a kid, I didn’t like it at all! :roll_eyes: Was glad that parents had that all by themselves.

From last week, green bean and pork stir fry - delicious! Used pork tenderloin, and it was so tender.

4 Likes

Dumplings in celebration of Chinese New Year.

14 Likes

Clay pot rice :rice: is always one of things I miss the most from my HK visits, and I’ve never found any of the Chinese restaurants near me able to replicate this same taste. I need to try this at home too!

3 Likes

In HK:

In China. Costs only 10 yuan (back in 2006/7/8)! :exploding_head: :astonished:

2 Likes

Mmmmm, yes I even love walking by these restaurants because you can smell the charcoal stoves and the rice cooking outside. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. The only “bad” part is waiting for it to finish and get that nice chatted rice at the bottom. :drooling_face::drooling_face: